Sign in to follow this  
farooqaaa

Desync & bad performance on server (running on Linux using Wine)

I have a server running on Linux using Wine.

Users experience desync when the player count goes above 15.

Anyone else having these issues? Is there any way to fix this?

Server Specs:

Intel Quad-Core Xeon E3-1230 3.20Ghz

8GB DDR3 Memory

100mbit dedicated connection

Edited by farooqaaa

I have a server running on Linux using Wine.

Users experience desync when the player count goes above 15.

Anyone else having these issues? Is there any way to fix this?

Server Specs:

Intel Quad-Core Xeon E3-1230 3.20Ghz

8GB DDR3 Memory

100mbit dedicated connection

I don't think that it is a Linux problem.

That is your connection, that is not a 100mbit/100mbit connection that sounds like a 100mbit/6mbit connection. :)

I have at home a 100/10 connection and the server runs well with around 12players. But after 20min. running the Server and more then 20 Player my testserver had desync's like hell too. So i am 100% sure, that the connection is the problem.

I don't think that it is a Linux problem.

That is your connection, that is not a 100mbit/100mbit connection that sounds like a 100mbit/6mbit connection. :)

I have at home a 100/10 connection and the server runs well with around 12players. But after 20min. running the Server and more then 20 Player my testserver had desync's like hell too. So i am 100% sure, that the connection is the problem.

What a useless reply. Let's start making theories now about other people's connections. Clearly, OP is running a dedicated server that's in a DC, and clearly - that's a 100/100. Common sense..where?!

Now to the subject, you can play around with the network settings of the server (not sure what it is under arma3, but on arma2 it was arma2oa.cfg or basic.cfg). There's a lot of useful information on this forum, so just research into that and it will definitely help with the desync.

But the bigger problem here is running the server on wine. It will never perform as well as it would on Windows, because it needs to do a lot more CPU work, which adds up to the already existing high load that ArmA puts out.

Your best bet would be to set up KVM or Xen on your box and create a Windows VPS, use that to run the server. Not only will it perform 10 times better, but it will be less hassle than wine. (Once you set it up, of course. :D)

If you're using Ubuntu, that may be an issue too. Everyone knows Ubuntu is slow.

This can also be caused by the mission itself although that is unlikely with that low of a player count. What mission are you using to test?

But the bigger problem here is running the server on wine. It will never perform as well as it would on Windows, because it needs to do a lot more CPU work, which adds up to the already existing high load that ArmA puts out.

sorry to correct you, but servers running on nix via WINE are performing on par with Windows servers ....

note that WINE is NOT emulator ... (hint it's not VM)

I forgot about this thread. Thanks to all of you who responded.

Server's performance is very improved now. I had to modify the bandwidth values to suit the server player count.