Sign in to follow this  
WCG

Tips on flying a helicopter?

Interestingly I found in ArmA2 the joystick works OK just with the axis mapped in A2, unlike A3 where it's unusable even with the sensitivity maxed out and instead I have to map it to the mouse with Xpadder and then map the mouse to the Cyclic in A3.

can you turn off the free-look while on a helicopter? i find i don't use it and i prefer flying withe the cyclic mapped to the mouse... but each time i fly i need to map the controls correctly. and flying with a controller is too slow, even with high sensitivity. any help?

EDIT: nevermind :3

Edited by dennybop

can you turn off the free-look while on a helicopter? i find i don't use it and i prefer flying withe the cyclic mapped to the mouse... but each time i fly i need to map the controls correctly. and flying with a controller is too slow, even with high sensitivity. any help?

Don't press and hold the free look key? problem solved.

Don't press and hold the free look key? problem solved.

yeah im an idiot... i checked game options and had vehicle free look turned on. turned it off now it works

Remember to minimize the deadzones of your controls in the advanced settings.

When flying with keyboard use 'pulses' instead of keeping the keys pressed.

Some background on flying can be found for free at the FAA. See the Helicopter Flying Handbook at https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/helicopter_flying_handbook/

I'm using a Hotas-X and Saitek rudderpedals.

I have weird problem. When I fly with joystick, helicopters and planes are hell of a lot less agile than with keyboard and mouse. I tried to tweak deadzones and sensitivity but they have no impact on agility of the aircrafts. Anyone know why? Thanks in advance.