Sign in to follow this  
babylonjoke

Amazing sounds samples.... but a bad sound engine

Quality has its price my friend. And you have to take some cons to get benefits ;) Also I didn't asked anyone to download it or anything, who thinks thats to much does not care enough about good sounds in my opinion. Or just has a different taste I cant please, thats it.

I wouldn't give a sh*t if the mod would be 5GB, I have it on my side and dont need to download it, hehe :)

Sure, I was talking about optimization - ammount of work, not about the quality. Honestly you can mod this sound engine for years and have the most amazing samples in the world, if the sound engine is bad it will play them like sh** always ^_^. It's exaclty the same with 3d models, I can make the most beautiful models, but if I have bad lighting and materials options in the engine they will looks always like crap :P (luckly for me they improved that YOOHOOO!)

Deeply I think this is what modding is all about: Having a game which is good but could be better in the eyes of the community and they start modding. Even the possibility of modding will create clever heads to work something out, always.

Kinda right, but that should not prevent any implementation of new features from devs just because there's always someone ready to improve the game. (also because you could improve what is already improved , nothing is perfect for a modder ) I mean, if they are able to, and want to keep the gameplay at an high level, they have to improve also the sound engine.Unfortunally we are not able to touch it as modders. So the only thing you can do, it's let them notice that "hole" and hope they will patch it.

We can endless discuss this topic on what BIS should've done or what not, but thats the game we get in the end, and thats the game we have to work with. Everyone is free to go if he's not liking the materials BIS is providing.

I guess that if they released the alpha they did that for have an help and feedbacks from community members to see where the game needs improvments. This thread is made to complain the game in the status as it is now (alpha)

Obviously if it was the final version I would never started a thread like this. I probably would deal with it as it is.

I also read about BIS needs a new sound engine to keep up with other AAA Games. Well, sure, if thats what they want. I think, as soon as DayZ came in, the sells of ArmA exploded and BIS is now trying to sells their main product to this customer group. I think ArmA3 wont be that much of an success because of what ever facts, and BIS will realize that soon. Now everyone is jumping on the dayz/a3 train still and they'll realize that this is something else than shooting zombies^^

Plus the fact that BIS is creating a DayZ standalone that will (hopefully) separate the mens from the boys (hehe) and the rest that'll stay is hopefully MILSIM orientated! Because IN WANT MY ARMA BACK!

I thin about a slogan for an anti zombie campaign in these forums "I WANT MY ARMA BACK! ZOMBIES NEED TO STAY OUTSIDE" or what ever :P j/k

LJ

Eheh, luckly they haven't even opened a section on this forum about DayZ...I think the 2 communities will keep be separate (luckly)

Edited by Babylonjoke

Quality has its price my friend. And you have to take some cons to get benefits ;) Also I didn't asked anyone to download it or anything, who thinks thats to much does not care enough about good sounds in my opinion. Or just has a different taste I cant please, thats it.

instead of you having to do their jobs for free they should hire you to do it and make a proper game from start, and it being the default for everyone.

i understand doing mods for creating new content that someone wants to see ingame, but for fixing the game? thats doing someone elses job for free imho.

that said, you did JSRS? great job man.

Hey there..is it possible LJ for you to make available to the community incremental updates to the ARMA 3 sound as you have stated i.e. changing the distances where things happen etc, or could you help us do that ourselves?

Cheers

Subz

You guys are also failing to grasp the learning curve aspect if they were to suddenly up and rip out the current in house engine and replace it with a third party engine. So lets say they spend a large chunk of change on a new sound engine. Who the hell is going to integrate it? Will they have to hire a new sound programmer to take care of it? Likely. So now what's he supposed to do? The game is set to release this year. Hopefully sooner rather than later too. So that means even an expert in said new sound engine will still have to learn BI's engine/programming model just to be effective. And 'then' he can get to work. They'd have to push the game back again, just to get it done. Even outside of the initial costs, it'd be a hell of an investment. One that wouldn't be worth it, IMO, when they can just improve the current one.

"Engine is shit, buy a new one!"

If you look at this problem in one dimension like that, you're not going to find a solution, only more problems. BI know this, and so they know better.