Sign in to follow this  
Recardio

Porting ArmA 2, Operation Arrowhead, and DLCs to A3 Alpha

Hi, I have ArmA 2, OA, and the ACR DLC on Steam. I also have a Retail-DVD Copy of Reinforcements. I recently purchased the ArmA 3 Alpha, and am wondering if there is a way I can port over stuff from my A2 and OA installations for personal use. I remember that there was a way to do this with Take on Helicopters before Take on Helicopters: Reloaded. Would it be as simple as creating a couple mod folders and dragging the files over, or would it be more complicated? I am interested in seeing Chernarus and Takistan in the ArmA 3 Engine, and am interested in seeing if I can get the A2 campaign working.

Thank you in advance.

Recardio

I will try the mod folder method and update this post accordingly.

Thank you for understanding. We look forward to all the awesome creations you are producing, and have several supporting packages being published as we speak!

Stated by DnA in the thread that orlok linked. Can't wait to see some content moved over officially.

More specifically:

We do want to add some clarity to the concept of forward-porting Arma 1 / 2 content into Arma 3, so here are some guidelines to keep in mind:

• In general, you cannot simply redistribute data we shipped with previous games.
  • The only data that is governed by special licenses are the sample packages.
  • There are other, and accepted, ways of merging Arma 1 / 2 content into Arma 3. This is handled by releasing new add-ons that merge the content people already own via configuration files. We are working on an officially supported approach for later (similar to TKOH's Rearmed).
  • We urge you to treat each other's work with respect. Please ask for permission before you take someone's mod and port it.

So im guessing the method i used to port over all my old content is legal in the simple fact that i did not get it from somewhere else, i simply used the content i have already paid for and moved it into a mod folder. there are some errors and animation glitches but most of the Vehicles work. and maps. makes for an interesting Wasteland build when adding in all the other vehicles, including all the hidden vehicles that already exist on A3 that you dont see in any wasteland servers. of corse the ported over vehicles do not use the improved 'engine' or transmission of the newer vehicles. But That could be changed using an unsupported method of merging unique config files to add in the transmission configs. All in all, its pretty fun to play Stratis with all the older vehicles. But also opens up all the older maps as well. Anyway, wanted to put in my 2 sense.

Cowboymiller, Is there any chance you could send me a pm, or reply to this topic on how you did it? I seem to remember how I did it for Take on Helicopters, but when I tried to load Chernarus in the editor, I got a CTD, No error. I also got errors when i started up the game. I had deleted the UI PBOs from the A2 and OA install. I think that may have screwed it up.

ok basically what i did was i created a mod folder for every group of .pbos that A2 was using. Example, inside the A2 root is a folder called Addons. ok so create a mod folder with the name @A2Addons then copy the Addons folder inside it. there is also a folder called Common that has .pbos in it. create a mod folder called @A2Common and then create an addons folder in it with the .pbos from the common folder. got PMC or BAF? do the same, @BAF and @PMC and take those addon folders and place them in the mod folders. Dont forget the .pbos in the Expansions folder too!! next is the somewhat tricky part, make sure inside each addons folder you find and delete any files that are similar to the following list: (except the original A3 addons folder)

editor.pbo

editor.pbo.bi.bisign

editor.pbo.bi2.bisign

ui.pbo

ui.pbo.bi.bisign

ui.pbo.bi2.bisign

UIFonts.pbo

UIFonts.pbo.bi.bisign

uifonts.pbo.bi2.bisign

modules.pbo

modules.pbo.bi.bisign

modules.pbo.bi2.bisign

anims.pbo

anims.pbo.bi.bisign

anims.pbo.bi2.bisign

Once youve done all this, create a short cut of the arma3.exe and add this line to the end -mod=@A2Addons;@A2Common;@PMC;@BAF and so on and so on. here is an example of my bat file string. (with out quots)

"start arma3.exe -mod=@A2COM;@A2ORG;@A2ACR;@A2BAF;@A2EX;@A2PMC -nosplash -skipIntro -cpuCount=2 -maxMem=6144"

Now some of the A2 content relays on the modules pbos and such. play around with deleting some and leaving others. you will get errors. the UI ones have to go though, other wise you will get A2 interface over the top of A3 interface...cumbersome. its not perfect, and most of the weapons have animation glitches where the player is holding the gun a foot below the normal spot. but the vehicles work great.

if you get any head way or need help or have any ideas to make it better, let me know.....so far, ive edited my wasteland scripts to incorporate all the vehicles and static weapons, left out all the weapons cuz the animations are so jacked, but give it time, im sure someone will figure out how to fix it.

Good Luck!!

let me know and we can play on my servers sometime!!

After further testing....do not delete the Modules at all...everything else is good to remove from any of the NEW mods folders you added. PS dont use the DL content (as in the PMC BAF OR ACR) too many errors and corrupted configs...only use the Original Addons, Common and Expansions. animations work great and only a hand full of errors. WAY better to play with..let me knowhow it goes

Hell, I would love to play with the ARMA 2 gear, but I'll wait till the official port gets online.