Sign in to follow this  
bobby budnick

Question: scripted artillery with "fire doFire commandFire fireAtTarget" and gravity

Some facts to start off with:

1. Targeting computer does not seem to work with artillery from Arma 2

2. I have not yet tried the artillery module

There are three approaches to scripted artillery as I see it:

1. Spawn shells just above the target (maybe too easy, arty module does this already)

2. Spawn shells at map edge with realistic physics properties (very hard, arty module does this already)

3. AI soldiers operating physical artillery pieces (this is what the thread is focusing on)

I have tried the commands listed in the thread title along with doWatch, doTarget, commandTarget, and lookAt. All shots at medium-range (5k) targets are short because the AI appears to not adjust for gravity. I have maxed out the skill level of the soldier that is firing. Are these commands only meant for short range encounters? Thanks.

I have also been trying to get artillery to work along the same lines... I'm trying to setup a trigger that when detected by a certain group of Opfor they tell the mortar team to fire on my location.. I really don't give a shit about accuracy.. I just want them to start bombing as soon as they radio it in.. I don't want fake scripted explosions that is just cheap shortcuts in my opinion.

I stumbled onto this thread with the solution thanks to killerwhale:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?147841-Automatic-mortar-fire

commandArtilleryFire is what we were looking for. It works well but you still need to be within the current range limits for the weapons. For the D-30, it is about 5k and the MLRS it is about 12k.