Sign in to follow this  
dragonsyr

Map limits for A3?

Try a different scale when exporting...if your area of interest is 102400m102400m , scale it down to a reasonable size by exporting with 1000m x1000m gridding...should result in a beautiful miniature desert with 10m cellsize and 1024px heightmap ;)

FYI I've discovered Arma 3 has a engine limitation in regards to the maximum height of terrain being 8000m, anything higher will be scaled down.

FYI I've discovered Arma 3 has a engine limitation in regards to the maximum height of terrain being 8000m, anything higher will be scaled down.

Himalaya not enough? :cool: Also note the technical limits to planes/helicopters at that height...

Himalaya not enough? :cool: Also note the technical limits to planes/helicopters at that height...

I tried Mt Everest :P

I tried Mt Everest :P

Planning "Yeti-Life" or what :p

Daggerfall had a world size of 229,848 square kilometers, and that game was made almost 20 years ago. Obviously, it's very sparse and quite different from ARMA, but it just goes to show what kind of things you can do with procedural map generation.

Thread necromancy

Kinda the reverse to this question, is it possible to make TINY maps with enormous detail? )im thinking 2x2-to 4x4 km2

fantastic multiplayer maps if there could be proper terrain deviations like roadside ditch, cliff face type deal

Thread necromancy

Kinda the reverse to this question, is it possible to make TINY maps with enormous detail? )im thinking 2x2-to 4x4 km2

fantastic multiplayer maps if there could be proper terrain deviations like roadside ditch, cliff face type deal

Certainly, there are some great examples of this in ArmA 2, like FATA and Sangin Province. That kind of thing carries over into A3.

Thread necromancy

Yes. I like Battlefield too. A block here, an ally there. I don't even know why BIS produced such an engine to create larger terrains, when all we need was small battlefield Maps. I say this due to the fact that the thread starts out by asking the question "can you create a 700 km by 700 km terrain". Now it has gone to "how small of a map I can make". I understand that some in the community love to reproduce other games in this milsim engine. But I ask, is there a thread for that some where ease?

Yes you can do that and I recommend it for learning the map making process...

Well, I guess they wanted real combat distances and no close quarters with helicopters, planes, artillery and tanks on a 4km² map...

for me , if you want to simulate only infantry in a small place , then you can do it but its only for 10-50 hours of playing.

if you have a large map to simulate everything at once , artillery / airforces / ships , then you can play with this for many months ...

very simple.... :)