Sign in to follow this  
MDRZulu

Gf4 and power supply

Since codemasters wants to be gay and delay their shiznit even longer and its still not at the store I decided fuck resistance and I bought a GF 4 Ti 4200 128mb instead beacause it doesnt look resistance is coming to a store near me for a long time. Anyway does anyone know if the GF4 draws more power than an old voodoo 5500. I have read that quite a few people have had problems at first because their power supply couldnt handle their GF4. Right now I am running a Voodoo 5500 agp with 2 fans and it has to plug into the power supply for something so I think I might be alright. My power supply is 250 watts and I dont know if that is ok with todays standards.

How big a PSU you need depends largely on what other peripherals you have in your system, and the type of processor.

I think a GF4 actually draws less current than the old Voodoo 5500, so you should be OK.

Yeah I still dont know why the Voodoo has to plug into the power supply and its not the fans either. The fans run with the power unhooked but you get no video.

TheVSA 100 processors used on the V5 were power hungry monsters smile.gif Thus the need for an external PS connection. They didnt want to overload the AGP bus.

Unless you are experiencing a lot of flakey hang ups or bsod's, your current PSU is likely enough. But it can never hurt to have a good PSU. This 350 watt power supply rocks. It has variable fan speeds...so if you are in a cool enviroment you can turn the fans down and make your system quieter. Plus it provides rock solid power.

Im in a warm enviroment and my case sucks mad.gif . I put my power supply outside the case cuz my cpu was overheating because where they put the powersupply my cpu fan had about a 2mm gap from the power supply so it couldnt get any air. I moved it outside and it hasnt overheated since.

I upgraded from a Ge-Froce 3 to a Ge-Froce 4 Ti4600 two days ago and I measured the temperature in my 300W PS before and after the upgrade.

No noticable difference at all ~meaning both cards draw approximately the same current. I think the old Voodoos draw alot more current from your PS than the Ge-Forces.

With a 250W PS you have nothing to worry about smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MDRZulu @ July 14 2002,01:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Im in a warm enviroment and my case sucks  mad.gif . I put my power supply outside the case cuz my cpu was overheating because where they put the powersupply my cpu fan had about a 2mm gap from the power supply so it couldnt get any air. I moved it outside and it hasnt overheated since.<span id='postcolor'>

I would suggest you close all holes and open areas in your chassis except where the fan(s) is. That would normally give you a better air-flow through your chassis.

If you don't have a fan in the front I would suggest you buy one where you can set the RPM of the fan. Preferably to around a 1000 rpm. You only need that fan to suck air into you chassis and let the PS-fan blow it out in the back.

-Should make a difference. Your PC might even make less noise as the CPU would'nt get that hot.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MDRZulu @ July 14 2002,01:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Im in a warm enviroment and my case sucks  mad.gif . I put my power supply outside the case cuz my cpu was overheating because where they put the powersupply my cpu fan had about a 2mm gap from the power supply so it couldnt get any air. I moved it outside and it hasnt overheated since.<span id='postcolor'>

The other thing about a good PSU is that it will have a fan on the side of the power supply that is right over the CPU to help with cooling.

If your case sucks that bad..look at a cheap case with more space inside so that you can get better airflow. I picked up a 50 dollar case with a throw away 250psu that was great for cooling, and had front USB ports to boot.

And you dont want to block holes..that just traps more heat in the case.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MDRZulu @ July 13 2002,23:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Since codemasters wants to be gay and delay their shiznit even longer and its still not at the store I decided fuck resistance and I bought a GF 4 Ti 4200 128mb instead beacause it doesnt look resistance is coming to a store near me for a long time. Anyway does anyone know if the GF4 draws more power than an old voodoo 5500. I have read that quite a few people have had problems at first because their power supply couldnt handle their GF4. Right now I am running a Voodoo 5500 agp with 2 fans and it has to plug into the power supply for something so I think I might be alright. My power supply is 250 watts and I dont know if that is ok with todays standards.<span id='postcolor'>

It said if you want stability you should have 300 watts of power for RAM and all other shit you put in the PC.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Shadow @ July 14 2002,01:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I upgraded from a Ge-Froce 3 to a Ge-Froce 4 Ti4600 two days ago and I measured the temperature in my 300W PS before and after the upgrade.<span id='postcolor'>

On a slightly different issue: Was it worth the upgrade? Any noticable difference in performance?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ July 13 2002,15:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">TheVSA 100 processors used on the V5 were power hungry monsters smile.gif  Thus the need for an external PS connection.  They didnt want to overload the AGP bus.

Unless you are experiencing a lot of flakey hang ups or bsod's, your current PSU is likely enough.  But it can never hurt to have a good PSU.  This 350 watt power supply rocks. It has variable fan speeds...so if you are in a cool enviroment you can turn the fans down and make your system quieter. Plus it provides rock solid power.<span id='postcolor'>

I second that recommendation.

I had a PC Power and Cooling PSU, and while it provided very stable power according to Motherboard Monitor, it was noisy, and expensive. I replaced it with an Enermax model that was about half what I paid for the PC Power and Cooling one, and it is also much quieter, which was the motivation for replacing it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SKULLS_Viper @ July 14 2002,01:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">heh, maybe dont even use a case. smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

My graphics Blaster Riva TNT overheats a lot at orginal clock rate.

Though my CPU are having an OK temparuture. but not the card.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">On a slightly different issue: Was it worth the upgrade? Any noticable difference in performance? <span id='postcolor'>

I'll let you know when I have it. I ordered it online today so it probably wont be sent out until monday then I'd give it 3 days for fedex to send it here so probably thursday.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SKULLS_Viper @ July 13 2002,18:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">heh, maybe dont even use a case. smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Or how about this case? biggrin.gif

Or this case? biggrin.gif

And there's always this you can try biggrin.gif

-=Die Alive=-

Wow Its wierd because I actually have considered putting my computer into my desk drawer but I would have to cut holes for the cd roms, power and all that stuff.

Are you becoming an old timer around here when you've seen the same 'cool pics' posted in half a dozen threads that are months apart? wink.gif

I went from a Geforce 2MX to a 128mb GeForce 3 and noticed a HUGE difference wink.gif But I cant imagine there being a huge difference between a GF3 and a GF4 except in the counter with the framerate. I dont play a single game that has bogged down noticably on a GF 3 and that includes AA, which is based on the newest engine.

I'd give my opinions on Resistance, but I STILL cant find it sad.gif