Sign in to follow this  
sproyd

EngineOn false - not working for turning off engine

A simple mission: 3 divers all in cargo of an inflatable boat. I am the squad leader for the other 2 divers that report to me.

A non-playable AI inflatable boat unit is dropping us at a set waypoint.

When he gets within the waypoint I want him to cut the engine. However, this isn't working!! He is labelled as boat but the waypoint command linked to boat once present is not working.... the upon act. code is;

boat EngineOn false;

but the engine keeps running.

Subsequently I want him to restart the engine and drive away to the next waypoint once we leave the area... but first things first.

Can anyone advise??

not tested in ARMA3 but

player action ["engineoff",boatname];

you could use that in a trigger or waypoint

Hmm, other thing you can do, that worked for me is to put a trigger, then group it to the boat and use that in should in "presence of unit" activate in init "Boat EngineOn false;". It works for me.

Hmm, other thing you can do, that worked for me is to put a trigger, then group it to the boat and use that in should in "presence of unit" activate in init "Boat EngineOn false;". It works for me.

Thanks for the ideas. Unfortunately I can't take this approach because I want the guy to restart the engine and drive off once we leave the area (and of course he'd still be in the trigger zone). Anyway, I got it to "work" finally, I think the problem was that the driver of the boat was the boat itself (one unit) - I fixed it by creating an empty boat and placing a unit as driver (which also had the effect of letting me choose him as a diver). However, the EngineOn command just makes him go idle and I want him to cut the engine so I guess at this stages its not working.

My answer was inccorect anyway I was thinking of aircraft in OA as the command was broken.

Why not just remove the fuel.

boatname setfuel 0

My answer was inccorect anyway I was thinking of aircraft in OA as the command was broken.

Why not just remove the fuel.

boatname setfuel 0

This ended up being the best option - because doing the EngineOff command worked for a second but then the AI driver (non-playable) would just restart the outboard to continue to the waypoint (even if he was 1m from the waypoint). I tried various options and this is the only one that accurately cuts the ignition.

Then, I created a trigger linked to my diving group that when they are not present && there are zero of that group in the boat then the trigger activates and puts the fuel back in the boat so he can drive off. This simulates the boat leaving the area once divers are cleared for safety reasons vis a vis the outboard prop.

While not entirely realistic (fuel doesn't vanish and reappear IRL) this has the most realistic effect when in game. I have noticed that the boat driving is a bit idiotic - akin to Arma 2 AI car driving (which seems to have been mostly fixed in A3). Here we go again :P