Sign in to follow this  
Aspide

Nvidia settings SLI mode

I have a pair of Nvidia Geforce 580 superclocked in SLI mode.

According to your opinion, in the settings PhysX processor under what I should indicate:

1.Ge Force GTX580 (1)

2.Ge Force GTX580 (2)

3.CPU

4.Select Automatic (recommended)

For ArmA 3, thank you for the tip!

Arma3 does all the physX on the cpu, so it doesnt matter what you select.

Arma3 does all the physX on the cpu, so it doesnt matter what you select.

Why would anyone who designed a 3d engine in the last 3 years not consider adding physics' or taking Nvidia physX into your engine and basing it all on the CPU why bother using the GPU it's designed for ?

Nvidia physX CPU vs GPU from 2009

How it works:

PhysX is designed specifically for hardware acceleration by powerful processors with hundreds of processing cores. Because of this design choice, NVIDIA GeForce GPUs provide a dramatic increase in physics processing power, and take gaming to a new level delivering rich, immersive physical gaming environments with features such as:

Explosions that create dust and collateral debris

Characters with complex, jointed geometries, for more life-like motion and interaction

Spectacular new weapons with incredible effects

Cloth that drapes and tears naturally

Dense smoke & fog that billow around objects in motion

I think if this was done from the start we would have a much better running Arma 3 !

Yeah I don't see why arma 3 can't detect if you're running an NVidia card that supports physx, and have it run physx on the card if it is detected. This way ATI users can still play and NVidia users get the benefit of GPU physx

Why would anyone who designed a 3d engine in the last 3 years not consider adding physics' or taking Nvidia physX into your engine and basing it all on the CPU why bother using the GPU it's designed for ?

Because it's not designed for it. The GPU part of physX is aimed at spectacular eyecandy effects, not actual interaction between objects in the gameworld, that part always runs on the cpu, in every game with the physX logo. Why is physX in the arma engine? Because it's a good physics engine and it's free as long as you put the physX logo in the splash screen.