Sign in to follow this  
On_Sabbatical

TAB lock issue ...

As far as the MFDs go, RKSL-Rock mentioned some interesting things about "Class MFD", unless you're intending something more than what he describes over there?

get rid of it....but you know what i'm going to say.. do not break other features in the process. Give us a proper fire control system its removal. (eg. Ace! They have done fcs perfectly, its flawless., just copy and paste the damn thing)

yes to this

ACE improves upong this in a number of ways, especially laser guided weapons, with probably one of the best laser guided weapons simulations in any game (arguably better than DCS).

Better than DCS? What's the argument?

And ACE is a good indication of what happens when we only have half the tools from BI. There's in-depth Hellfire missile simulation, but there's a scripting limitation that makes the missile lag behind the laser for a few frames, making it just about impossible to hit moving targets.

As for the AI... people used Mando Missiles and didn't worry about AI. When BI gives us AI that sees tracers, hears sonic cracks, sets up mortars and uses all the new stance adjusts, then BI can use that excuse.

I have to mention that the current replacement of AT/AA auto-locking with the "aim&hold T or RMB" system definitely is a good step in the right direction.

It implemented a realistic flow of information for those weapons (spot-aim-shoot) and gives stealth gameplay a chance. You now have to use your eyes, analyze what you see and for the first time got to care about your camouflage (when only those weapons are in the field). I recommend and wish that you adapt the ( mostly AT-) weapons that do not use this system yet in the same way (MI-48 ATGM, btr-k's titan, orca...). Together with some radar adjustments which make it less "magical" we could get a first working hotfix for this issue. No more tab-fire-tab-fire, teamwork in multi crew vehicles, no frustrating 'getting killed by aimbot', logical, completely information-based gameplay and some popularity boost for pvp-based gamemodes.

Good work!

For the AI topic that's always brought into this one, i don't really see the problem. The AI can use tab-lock (and so on) as their targeting system, where is the problem with it doing so? An AI without aimbot can't shoot. The problems occur when humans take over fire control and use the AI's aimbot. And for the part when both systems collide, a vehicle controlled by a human driver/commander/pilot with an AI gunner, none of both gives his abitilities to the other. So eg. the AI in a tank gunner seat could operate autonomously like in the A2 beta patches, or be controlled by the human within his abitilities - pointing at a target with right-click / t-button / whatever so the AI locks the target it it's system - a target spotted by the human within his capabilities. You can even combine those two - an autonomous AI, that takes human orders as priority (A2 BMP cannon style).

The same is possible for helicopters and planes, even tho abolishing the "manual fire" option and giving the control of fixed cannons, unguided weapons and aa to the pilot, moveable cannons and guided weapons exept AA to the gunner would also be possible and result in gameplay/teamwork improvements.

I know that most of you want to see some extended solution, more simulation - like, that's why i said "hotfix" ;P. But realistically, look at what's going on at the moment.. content, netcode..

Yes (snip)

I wish all developers communicated this way. It's not sugar-coating, it's not defensive. It treats the customer and the company as if they are on the same cooperating toward a common goal.

I wish I could say that BIS devs are bad and I obviously have all the answers but I don't. The requirements for a comprehensive "new approach" are numerous and the solution's parameters complex. There are skill requirements, design feasibility, AI considerations, game performance factors, spectrum of implementation, etc. Lots of headwork will be needed to navigate the ideascape. I do have several core principles about the design that I'm relatively confident about.

1. More powerful = more skill, cooperation, and other limitations/requirements.

2. Design the human system first then adjust AI performance to match.

3. Allow for a reasonable counter.