Sign in to follow this  
jaysmizzle

Crash to desktop, graphical artifacts

There are bright, colorful, flashing graphical artifacts on the background of the main screen sometimes. Other times I get these artifacts as soon as I enter the game world. After 10 seconds it crashes to desktop. Sometimes it crashes at the main screen. I've tried several nvidia drivers. They all have issues.

My specs:

i7-3770 @ 3.4ghz

16 gb RAM

Nvidia GeForce GTX 560TI

Windows 7

Download eVGA Precision and enable the Overlay. Make sure you have the GPU Temperature selected to be displayed in the On-Screen Display.

Monitor your temperature while playing to rule out any potential overheating. I too used to get graphical artifacts in games on my old graphics card and it turned out the VRAM was bad so I had to get it replaced.

You could also download FurMark and give that a go, it's great for finding artifacts and will stress test your GPU while at it. But wait, there's more - it will also serve you as an Acid Trip Simulator.

Download eVGA Precision and enable the Overlay. Make sure you have the GPU Temperature selected to be displayed in the On-Screen Display.

Monitor your temperature while playing to rule out any potential overheating. I too used to get graphical artifacts in games on my old graphics card and it turned out the VRAM was bad so I had to get it replaced.

You could also download FurMark and give that a go, it's great for finding artifacts and will stress test your GPU while at it. But wait, there's more - it will also serve you as an Acid Trip Simulator.

Thanks for the advice but I already use eVGA Precision and have the fan turned all the way up. The temp is only in the 40's when I get the artifacts. I play ARMA 2 with a temp of between 70-75 and never get any artifacts. I'm pretty sure it can't be an overheat issue.

---------- Post added at 20:44 ---------- Previous post was at 20:43 ----------

Sometimes when it crashes I get an error that says, "display driver has stopped responding and has recovered".

Never mind. The issue was with my video card and not ARMA 3. My video card developing problems just happened to coincide with the first few times I played ARMA 3.