Sign in to follow this  
seannybgoode

Requesting a clear status update on Java support for Arma 3

Yes, I checked the ToH API and it seemed fine..

Would you care to elaborate why the API is fine? Am I just supposed to accept that it is because you say it is?

Would you care to elaborate why the API is fine? Am I just supposed to accept that it is because you say it is?

Regarding the whole ToH thing, to me it's no surprise that the API is a little raw. It's a first time implementation of Java in this engine for BI, and they probably kept things simple on purpose. Furthermore, I saw that BI was hiring a Java developer a while back, shortly after ToH was released, so maybe they turfed their Java dev?

The API is simple and reflects SQF functions and therefore it's what modders are used to and what modders need. Make your API with proxies on top of that, use it, share it.

EDIT: I don't want to be forced to use Java annotations in Scala.

EDIT2: Apologies for unnecessary harsh words.

Edited by batto

Regarding the whole ToH thing, to me it's no surprise that the API is a little raw. It's a first time implementation of Java in this engine for BI, and they probably kept things simple on purpose.

At the risk of sounding some what defensive, I never faulted BI for doing so. I just asked for how the information on how the API is going to be improved, and cited problems I saw with it and improvements I'd like see, information I think should be BI's statement on the future Java.

I don't want to derail the thread into a topic about what Java APIs should and should not look like or if SQF does or does not suck(How is this even an argument? It plainly does.). However, for those who argue that the API in ToH was just fine, I'm interested in hearing evidence for those opinions what they sound fairly outlandish to me. I bought ToH just the other day to confirm that many of the problems I foresaw in the wiki with the API did exist. Even then, many other problems that became apparent even after just an few hours of usage, like with how all invocations to jcall are blocking SQF VM it's called on(Having to invoke a new SQF VM to invoke a new JVM so that jcall doesn't block on the main game engine thread is really really dumb).

---------- Post added at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 PM ----------

The API is simple and reflects SQF functions and therefore it's what modders are used to and what modders need.

No it's not that's why it's being replaced.

EDIT: I don't want to be forced to use Java annotations in Scala.

Good thing java annotation processing is a being rewritten in the next release of Scala to make this issue of mapping Java and Scala annotations less onerous. Also it's funny you mentioned this because I just did a brown bag presentation on this subject to our developers at my place of work, If you're interested and live in the Washington DC area, we will do a public version of this presentation of sometime next month. If not I'll PM you the presentation afterwards.

Edited by Milyardo

I bought ToH just the other day to confirm that many of the problems I foresaw in the wiki with the API did exist. Even then, many other problems that became apparent even after just an few hours of usage, like with how all invocations to jcall are blocking SQF VM it's called on(Having to invoke a new SQF VM to invoke a new JVM so that jcall doesn't block on the main game engine thread is really really dumb).

Here's hoping that's why BI pulled it from the Alpha release.

Java is also much more popular than SQF. I'd rather use java which i use in many more applications than learn SQF specifically for arma.

Java is also much more popular than SQF. I'd rather use java which i use in many more applications than learn SQF specifically for arma.

_57c8a1a431a592af806925e57258202f.png