Sign in to follow this  
eegore

Do I need to make my own "Beta" folder?

I had to reinstall OA due to my original CD code being used by someone else. It was blocked and I was reissued a new one since I had proof of original purchase.

I do not have a "Beta" folder in my ArmA2/Expansion folder, and when I try to install version 101480 it will ask me if I want to install then nothing happens.

I manually created a new folder inside the Expansion one, named it Beta and tried again but it still will not install, it just says extracting then goes away with no installation.

Any help here would be appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by eegore

The beta folder should be created automatically. Have you patched the game to 1.62 yet, and have you started it once (without beta) to make sure it works correctly?

Yes Ive played it for years. Until now I have had no problems installing betas.

The only difference is that I had to re-install OA and Ive updated it to 1.62 and played it a few times. I didnt notice the missing beta folder until I tried to install the latest one today and nothing happens. None of the older betas will install either.

Ive completely uninstalled ArmA 2, and re-installed both that and OA, still no beta folder, still no installation.

Kind of a pain because I can no longer play DayZ etc.

Okay, so the game itself works - that's one possible cause crossed off.

- Do you run the game as admin?

- When you installed the game, did you install it as admin?

- If the answer to the above is yes, have you tried installing the beta as admin too?

I installed it as Admin but don't typically run it as Admin. I did try running the beta installer as Admin though with the same result: Extracting files... disappears and never installs.

I am doing another clean install, removing every trace users, missions, addons etc from the PC completely and will see what that does.

Again the only thing that has changed is my CD-key for OA and I can't imagine that somehow prohibits beta installation.

Thanks for the help.

---------- Post added at 12:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

Update: It must be something with my PC, the full reinstall did nothing and now I cant even patch to 1.62 because the installer just wont work.

I did a complete system restore to factory settings and still the same result. Not sure what I can do besides installing Steam and buying another copy.

Any ideas?

I cant even patch to 1.62 because the installer just wont work.

What is the exact error message? If there is no error message, can you post the exact steps you take when running the installer, aswell as the exact point at which it fails?

Also, does the unpatched game itself start and load successfully? If so, what version number does it report (visible in the main menu)?

I unzip the ARMA2CORFT_Update_160 with Winrar, then "Run as Adminstrator" the application icon. It says "Extracting" with the little blue advancing bar then disappears once 100% extracted.

Thats it, thats as far as it goes. It does not open the "Are you sure you want to install" menu where you selct ok and the process begins.

The unpatched game runs fine at version 1.50.70996.

Also I checked again for a beta folder within the Expansion folder and it does not exist, of course it may not create until the first patch is installed right?

I unzip the ARMA2CORFT_Update_160 with Winrar, then "Run as Adminstrator" the application icon. It says "Extracting" with the little blue advancing bar then disappears once 100% extracted.

Thats it, thats as far as it goes. It does not open the "Are you sure you want to install" menu where you selct ok and the process begins.

The unpatched game runs fine at version 1.50.70996.

Also I checked again for a beta folder within the Expansion folder and it does not exist, of course it may not create until the first patch is installed right?

Try extracting the executable first (into a folder of your choosing), then running it as administrator. Running the executable directly from within the archive may be what's causing the problem.

Maybe I worded that wrong, the file is fully extracted and in its own seperate folder. I run as Admin the exe file after that as you have described above.

Maybe I worded that wrong, the file is fully extracted and in its own seperate folder. I run as Admin the exe file after that as you have described above.

Ahh, yeah I forgot: the patch executables themselves are just self-extracting archives with the installer inside. So basically the archive is extracting itself but then failing to run the installer executable.

That means your temp folder possibly contains several orphaned patch executables at this very moment, so here's an idea:

1. Enter %temp% in the Windows program/file search field. It should open your temporary folder.

2. Press Ctrl+F and type arma into the folder search field. It should hopefully list a couple of Arma2 patch installer executables.

3. If so, find the one that looks like it is the 1.60 installer and run it as administrator.

Hopefully, the patch should install this way. If that works, you may need to do the same for all other patches.

Ok so we were close with how the installers were being picky. My friend sent me a message saying to extract and run the exe files only from my desktop, not in any folder and it worked.

Why this is needed is beyond me but at least there is a solution.

Thanks again or the assistance.

The desktop is one of the few places that "belong" to your user, but normally running as Admin should make that irrelevant... so yeah. Windows user permission bullshit strikes again. ;)

Glad you got it to work.