Sign in to follow this  
Pr3lLoX

Some Few Questions About Map Making...

1. Whats The cap on buildings or how many buildings can i create before it starts to take a tall on the FPS?

2. If i make a map, will i be able to for example port it over to the new dayz engine?

3. Is it possible to make a totally new map like NY or a huge city map?

4. With a lot of building modeling and creating how long will this project take?

Please answer the question in the order i put up..

Im just asking these question because im just making sure and yeah im a noob....But theres a first time for everything right?

2. If i make a map, will i be able to for example port it over to the new dayz engine?

If you mean DayZ as it currently is, the engine is the ArmA 2 OA engine. If you can use it with DayZ, I don't know.

3. Is it possible to make a totally new map like NY or a huge city map?

It is possible to make a totally new map, and it is possible to make a city, but not a huge one. If you do make a place with a lot of objects, the details of each object will suffer. It would not be possible, for instance, to make a city with all buildings enterable with props and all that.

4. With a lot of building modeling and creating how long will this project take?

Somewhere between months and years... but it would also take a significant portion of time to learn the tools.

Please answer the question in the order i put up..

Im just asking these question because im just making sure and yeah im a noob....But theres a first time for everything right?

For the first time I would recommend something simple and small to cut your teeth on the workflow. Everytime someone says they've never modelled before and they want to model some uber leet spetsnaz operator, I suggest they model a chair or some other prop first to get a handle on how the tools work. No one ever takes that advice. Guess how many custom uber leet spetsnaz operators are made by new modellers and distributed to the community? 0.

If you mean DayZ as it currently is, the engine is the ArmA 2 OA engine. If you can use it with DayZ, I don't know.

I mean with the new standalone engine....

And the texture will suffer, what about the guy who made the Fallujah map?

I mean with the new standalone engine....

Nobody on these forums has experience with the new engine. We cannot help you there.

And the texture will suffer, what about the guy who made the Fallujah map?

The (awesome) Fallujah map is possible thanks to most of the buildings being from ArmA1. Generally speaking they are lower quality and have no interior at all. ArmA2 also has different damage states for its buildings (for example shoot a SABOT at a corner that corner falls off) while the ArmA1 buildings do not. If the building is destroyed it just collapses into the terrain leaving behind rubble.