Sign in to follow this  
NyteMyre

Question about reinstalling after CD-key theft

A few months ago, i tried to install a DayZ map. It was a little gullible of me to trust an unknown .exe file and it turned out to be a CD-key stealer program. At first i thought my anti-virus stopped it from fully executing, but yesterday, I finally got globally banned on BattleEye. So i figured my CD-key was still stolen/replaced.

Anyway, my own fault... nothing i can do about it. BattleEye can't help me with it either. Luckily, ArmA2 was on sale on Steam, so i figured I could just buy a new copy, and be more careful next time with suspicious files.

So I bought ArmA2 (with all DLC for a change) on Steam, but before i downloaded it, i was thinking. Is it possible that the same CD-key stealer program will also steal the key of my Steam copy if i install it. Does anyone know the answer for this? I did a full system scan yesterday, and found 2 infected files which are now quarantined (Win32: Downloader....... something.... inside my League of Legends folder).

There is never 100% security but i think if you clean your registry, scan your PC for viruses/malware and clean it up as good as it gets. Then you should be relatively save.

Not proposing it, just to have it said: the most secure way would be to format your harddisk and install everything (including Windows) from scratch. Most time consuming way but most secure also.