Sign in to follow this  
tlx

Public master server for ofp:r

Hmm.. the in game browser only sees games hosted through gamespy, does that mean that dedicated servers will not be visible to it? That would sorely disadvantage those people gracious enough to host dedicated servers. If this is the case, it's even more damaging to the user base than just nixing ASE integration. The good servers wil move on to other games.. the user experience on poorly run servers will likely have a bad effect on game loyalty.. People will look around for another franchise that will offer a better experience along with good game play. Not sure they will find it immediately but there are several games waiting in the wings for an opportunity like this.

I'll kick back and wait... BIS can either come around or I can move on to something else

Hello. I think none of you did catch the solution Hees offered on the udp forum. There's a post by me some pages ago with a link to a *working filter* for ASE to list OFP:R games. If you also apply a custom config including the FlashpointResistance.exe you may FIND Games and PLAY fine... Only thing needed is this filter making it to the next ASE update.... Over.

http://www.udpsoft.com/forum/topic.cgi?forum=1&topic=762

Hey Tlx,

Thats great that you can get that filter to work, but the beef is the fact that BIS has turned it's back on UDPsoft (ASE) who has been supporting OFP from the beginning. Gayspy is nothing but ping raising spy ware and everyone, other then BIS I guess, knows this. ASE doesn't make you ping skyrocket and they provide a clean and professional gaming experience. Granted you find a moron that wants to act like a little child, but for the most part the server admins keep that under control. With gayspy you deal with childish behavior in almost every room and almost every game hosted through gayspy.

This was the main reason I choose to use ASE. If I remember correctly I heard about ASE in Stoner's Server, thanks Stoner.

I can say this right now...I WON'T buy OFP:R until BIS adds support for ASE. It's the right thing to do. I can also tell you that out of the 100 members with in the 302nd, all of them agree with me on this matter. BIS if you're reading this listen to what your CUSTOMERS are saying. We are trying to tell you how to keep your profits up.

I know 100 people might not put a dent in the OFP:R sales, but word of mouth is a powerful thing and I know for fact Stoner's server see's hundreds of players a day, and the 302nd is allied with well over 20 other online gaming units and they all agree with myself. Axe gayspy exclusive support and add ASE to OFP:R. I'm more then happy to stick with OFP until you make up your minds wink.gif

Capt Dragon

Commanding Officer 302nd Hellions OFP Unit

Cheers Dragon,

i'd also appreciate direct ASE server support by BIS. No doubt UDPSoft provides the best game browser up to date. What many of you are missing is the fact that the developer of ASE made a statement that he won't/can't support OFP:R due to the non public server concept. *This has proven to be wrong*. Obviously BIS changed the game name to be announced to the master server from "opflash" to "opflashr". This seems to be the reason why ASE standard OFP filters can't find any OFP:R dedicated servers.

If you set up a filter with this new string as a query *you will find OFP:R servers*. From all the posts here i get the impression that everyone thinks it's not possible to use ASE for OFP:R which is true for the current filters, but not by program design either of BIS or UDPSoft. It'd be no problem for the ASE developers to fix this with the next update.

I'm getting the impression that UDPSoft and the veteran players want to force BIS to include ASE SDK code. As said i'd also appreciate that *BUT* _what is wrong_ if it worked as before with an upcoming ASE update. If you'd like to - i may provide the correct "filters.txt" to be hosted on some webserver so everyone can download it and see that there's really a good chance that this will be included in the next ASE update.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (tlx @ July 08 2002,19:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hello. I think none of you did catch the solution Hees offered on the udp forum. There's a post by me some pages ago with a link to a *working filter* for ASE to list OFP:R games. If you also apply a custom config including the FlashpointResistance.exe you may FIND Games and PLAY fine... Only thing needed is this filter making it to the next ASE update.... Over.

http://www.udpsoft.com/forum/topic.cgi?forum=1&topic=762<span id='postcolor'>

Those filters do NOT show dedicated Servers!

We're hosting several Resistance (dedicated) Servers and they're NOT shown!

I tried it and since the last weekend I'm refreshing, but only a few Servers are shown although we alone host 15, there are still only 12-14 shown, and none of ours!

Kabukiman,

k i see the point. The ingame browser shows more servers. Some servers are shown in ASE and ingame and quite a few are only shown by the ingame browser.

I just checked and there are some dedicated servers shown in ASE.

But how on earth did they get them to show up in ASE???

There's a lot more dedi's on the Ingame Browser than on the ASE.

I wonder if it has to do with the "Master-Server"-Setting in server.cfg which was introduced somewhere between Patch 1.20 and 1.30?!?

Maybe Resistance doesn't send Info to Master Server without telling it to do so?

I'll try....

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kabukiman @ July 09 2002,21:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Those filters do NOT show dedicated Servers!<span id='postcolor'>

Small correction: not all servers. The the ones that show are dedicated nevertheless.

But I did some more fumbling with the filters and came up with another crude (too stupid to write more sophisticated) one.

Make a new 'normal' filter and paste:

1    if impl ~== "sockets" goto 3

2    remove

I jumped from 18 to 32 servers shown. Maybe still not a lot but we wil get there in the end... :-)

Update:

Hold your horse, I'm a noob...

It seems that it spils some non-resistance servers over. So disregard this stupid post, please...

Tlx if you'd like to send the filter over to admin@skidrowpunk.net, i could put it up on my webspace, seeing as i have a 2gb transfer limit.

IF...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i'd also appreciate direct ASE server support by BIS. No doubt UDPSoft provides the best game browser up to date. What many of you are missing is the fact that the developer of ASE made a statement that he won't/can't support OFP:R due to the non public server concept. *This has proven to be wrong*. Obviously BIS changed the game name to be announced to the master server from "opflash" to "opflashr". This seems to be the reason why ASE standard OFP filters can't find any OFP:R dedicated servers.<span id='postcolor'>

...this proves to be correct and ASE can browse dedicated servers after a new patch, then these postings will have been if anything, educational.

OFP has a community of ppl from around the world, I have played with ppl from Europe, Asia, The Middle East, Austrailia, South America, Canada, and I even think there was a guy from Angola one time.  My point is, most of these players I met on SHoP, and most of those stayed with the game and continue to drop by occassionally.  I cannot count the players I have met or contacted.  Some I got along with, some I did not.  However we all play OFP and that is what makes it right.  Sorta like a family, we bitch at each other, we tell on each other, in the end we work it out and keep playing OFP.  I read somewhere that BIS has made OFP to target Teamplaying rather than the lonewolf.  Everyone knows it is not CS or UT, but that it uses physics for its modeling and ingame characteristics.  Those games cater to the powerful minded, I have played a CS game where one guy continued to be an incredible marksman game after game.  He also belittled ppl as he went.  Not to be happy with the fact that he was currently the best player on that server, he wanted ppl to know it.  However CS and UT foster that kind of attitude.  That doesnt happen on the servers I play on.  I have no doubt it does exist for OFP, though I do not think it happens on public servers all that often.

BIS you made an incredible game that many, many ppl play, and many, many ppl build maps and addons for.  This "community" of ppl are part of your family, whether you want it or not.  We, the "community" does not control what the end result of a game or patch will be, for BIS decides that.  We make suggestions, sometimes demands, BIS listens and in the end has the last say in what happens to a patch or official addon.

The reason why you made this game is simple.  Money.  You may say you love game production, you may say you love graphics design, but in the end its about the money.  A few thousand ppl that decide not to buy the game may not hurt profits that much, but truthfully, a few thousand ppl not buying the game leads to a few thousand more that never hear about the game. Gaming companies live and die by their "community". Right now, for me not playing the game is not really an option.  I do love this game, and in truth I already have the game.  An associate from Germany sent me a copy last week, it arrived here on the fifth.  I didn't pay for it, it was a gift.  I am playing it, and I am in awe of the kewl new toys you have provided for us, BIS.  In my opinion, Resistance is a very nice product.

The question has been posed to me about whether or not I am going to put up 1.75 for server enjoyment.  I am undecided until I can find better instructions for my ASE.**NO OFFENSE HEES/TLX**

**My reply..

I will upgrade the server to Resistance, if I can get ASE to work properly.  If I can not, I will not.

Stoner

http://www.stone-keep.com

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ July 08 2002,00:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (TumZ @ July 07 2002,22:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The latest word is that America's Army will be allowing support for ASE<span id='postcolor'>

Uhoh does that mean we'll be losing the CS crowd? Oh no the horror  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Mwahahhahaha! Down with CS and all of Half-life! I never really cared for all those tarding rambo like games anyway. I prefer games that require some skills like in Tom Clancy's Rainbow 6 series, SWAT, Operation Flashpoint and now America's Army! You cannot even compare AA to CS. CS is more like Doom, Quake, Unreal, Wolfenstien and the such. Just cause it uses the Unreal engine doesn't make the game like Unreal.

tounge.gif

I love OFP.  I enjoy bringing new people into OFP.  I hate gamespy.  I will NOT view another gamespy advertisement.  If I had not found all-seeing-eye, I would not be playing OFP multi-player.  Gamespy is too large a negative for any game to overcome.  Don't let this be the beginning of the end.  Please BIS, hear our plea - make your OFP-R master servers PUBLIC!

Fury confused.gif

Also, tlx, if you send me the filters.txt, couls you include some instructions on how it works?

OK, I haven't messed with the Res dedicated yet, but I know in the regular opflash dedicated (1.49) you can point to a master server, correct? So can't you point the 1.75 dedi to ASE's master server? Or is it hardcoded?

I think it's kinda dumb not to allow us to point at multiple master servers, if this is the case.

Also, doesn't Resistance use a new port? Is there a way to look for the new specific port using a filter? That might bring up a lot of Res servers. I'm not really up to date on how to make a ASE filter, but if it's flexible, then you could point it to the new port 2201 or 2235, something like that. Well this'd work unless the dedi's port is changed.

Ah well. Damn.

Well, I personally didn't understand all of what you had typed Hees. However, Savage helped me to setup ASE to find OFP:R servers using your code snippet. Since I could not initially understand what was typed I made a tutorial for those of us who don't quite get it, using your information. I hope you don't mind.

There is a little tutorial with screen shots included. I can probably answer some questions regarding what I put on the webpage, however any code related questions needs to be pointed at Hees.

ASE screen shot tutorial for OFP:R

Stoner

http://www.stone-keep.com

Great! That should put an end to the debate. Those who want to use ASE can use it and those that are content with the ingame browser don't have to. All well that ends well smile.gif

For the advanced user, the above will work. For the average user, perhaps. For the new folks, not going to happen. Don't brush this under the carpet man.

Stoner

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Stoner @ July 10 2002,09:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Don't brush this under the carpet man.<span id='postcolor'>

Not at all my intention. All I am saying that there is a solution now and that it is great news for those of us who want to use ASE smile.gif  As for it being only for advanced users, I don't know, the instructions seem fairly simple to me. We just have to spread to word.

I have a suggestion for you. Make a new thread containing the solution, and I'll make it a sticky one. I am sure that many members would appreciate that.

Copy that.

BTW, I wasn't trying to start a flame. I thought about editing it and suggesting that the ASE issue is very much wanted to be clarified and perhaps to work with BIS to find a solution. If BIS is interested.

Stoner

I aggree with you Stoner. By no means was I trying to flame BIS either, but sometimes you have to be very outspoken to get through to game developers. Alot of game developers just ignore the players when they develop something that the players don't like and they eventually dei off. Take Americas Army, They are adding ASE support and by this Monday they are updating the game so players can host their own server. They heard the complaints and saw that they were wrong for doing it the way they did and they fixed it. They use their game for recruiting and they see the potential for the game so they don't want it to die out.

Opinion of the people is a powerful thing.

Dragon--->OUT

Dear Codemaster's

If you want to see how your new exclusive server (gamespy) works. Just drop on by the Americas Army room. The first thing you will find is that by just conecting to the room it sends so much ICMP traffic that it could be considerd a denial of service attack. For 10 mins after i disconnected from gamespy my modem was working so hard i got a 500 ping to my gateway. My firewall also reported over 250 hits in less than a few seconds. Then the reporting on how many people in room and ping and so on is not even close. This is kinda what i look for in a game browser. So that means that it is a blind hunt for a room. Ok im a patient man, Ill just click into a random room with a few people (2/18) should be room there right?, Wrong. Flash forward four days later. I still have yet to connect to a room and play AA. Please go check out your new game browser. If i just signed a contract with a company I would want to know how well they do. Stop on by the America's Army room Gamespy you'll love it.

That said  Resistance comes out today in fact it is sitting at my local GameStop right now. Im not getting it. I will not pay for it at all unless this Gamespy crap is stopped. I have been supporting this game since 1.0. I orderd it from Europe the day it came out. I live in the States. Im one of the few yanks with a DVD Jewl case.

Hey guys it's me again. I would like everyone to go to this post on gayspy forums and list their complaints...make sure to spell them out for them...lol you'll understand when you read the post. One of their forum admins and a moderator asked a poster to SPELL OUT his/her complaints, so I opened the flood gate for him. Maybe this will help them see how much they really suck and maybe by some grace of god they might listen to the people who play the games and fix their shit.

http://www.forumplanet.com/gamespy....=711456

Lets bring the complaints to them as well.

Dragon-->OUT

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Stoner @ July 10 2002,08:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well, I personally didn't understand all of what you had typed Hees.  However, Savage helped me to setup ASE to find OFP:R servers using your code snippet.  Since I could not initially understand what was typed I made a tutorial for those of us who don't quite get it, using your information.  I hope you don't mind.<span id='postcolor'>

Hee, good stuff man. You made me a lil proud. I was never in the middle of such a debate. You made good work of it. wink.gif

BTW, you wrote in another message something like: 'No offense Tlx/Hees!' I for one don't take any offense and I'm sure Tlx doesn't either. We had some brief message exchanges on the subject.

But I have to get something of my chest. I feel caught in the middle between BIS/CM on one hand and JK, the writer of The All Seeing Eye on the other. I hope these two parties will agree to something in the near future.

I agree by 100 percent :-)