Sign in to follow this  
azbaobab

Multiple MG's on Heli's?

Well, I've searched here, and over at OFEC, and nothing's turning up.

I've seen plenty of discussion on the impossibility of mounting seperate vehicles (gun turrets) on fixed-wing aircraft, but is it also impossible for helicopters?

I've got the getpos thing down, but (same with fixed-wing aircraft) it doesn't take pitch and roll into account.

So...

I've considered doing an invisible vehicle (based on the M2) and then just modeling a fixed gun on the side to "look like" there's a side gun. That way, the invisible turret can rock all over the place. But then there's the gunner issue, and I don't thing you can assign the gunner position of one vehicle into the passenger position of another...

Therefore: is it definitively impossible to see multiple MG's on a heli? Or has someone out there cracked it and I just haven't been able to find it yet?

Thanks!

I've tried the invisible vehicle once, too, but the problem is that it doesn't mimic the movements of the helicopter, either. - that means no barrel rolls, pitch changes, etc... You can try to have a go at the pseudo-MG, though - the one based on rocket launchers, as I described in OFP. I'll have to take a look at my old files, I might have a working specimen lying around somewhere.

Yup, I did see your post there, and thanks for the reply. I can see what you mean by modifying the missiles into bullets: and if you do have a working model, I'd be hugely appreciative!

However, I'm still unsure on the control points though. Missiles or guns: control still goes back to the single gunner... no? Given only a single gunner can be designated (per model)... I'll have to have a closer look at the config file to see what you mean.

If I gather what you're proposing correctly, it would still be a single gunner, but switching between weapons would switch control between a forward, and (two) side "guns".

Am I off there?

Thanks again for the input!

OWP Mi-8 have working multiple MGs on their choppers, they are simulated via rockets too.

Yes, the control would still be with a single gunner who's switching through the weapons. But I just found another old model, with a laser turret and two big laser guns on the sides - I need to see if it's possible to use a 'commander' (as in the tanks, with a separate, movable, gunless turret) for that purpose...