Sign in to follow this  
alx

Agp drivers [help]

I've seen a number of posts which advise updating BIOS, graphics card drivers, etc. A common recommendation is to upgrade your AGP drivers. So I have some questions for the more technically minded of you;

My computer uses an i815EP chipset. (I don't know the mobo model since it's one of Dell's, therefore no documentation or anything notable printed on the mobo).

I've visited the Intel web site for the i815 chipset family and followed the link to the Drivers and Utilities page. However, the Graphics Drivers on offer do not include any for the i815EP. Is this because the EP does not have integrated graphics? In fact, do these Graphics Drivers have anything to do with the AGP?

I note that the 82815EP Memory Controller Hub (MCH) provides the AGP interface. Is this what I'm after? Can you upgrade the MCH? If so, how?

Basically, I have a new Geforce4 Ti 4200 64Mb and would like to ensure my AGP is up to date but I don't know if this can be updated with my chipset or not, and if so, how this can be done.

Any advice would be much appreciated. smile.gif

Alx

I'm looking

BTW What happened to your old account?

Can't find anything as we really need to know what the make/model of the motherboard is.

Try downloading SiSoftware Sandra Great app for identifying hardware, see if that sheds any light on it.

Thanks guys,

Firstly, to Placebo; my old account (handle simply Alx) for some reason unknown to me started refusing me entry to my Personal Details in my Control Panel (although it allowed me to change other things in Control Panel). It also refused to allow me to post to or search the forum. I thought it may have been something to do with updating my IE or Windows with Microsoft's security fixes but nothing I changed would fix it and I had the same problems using a friend's old Windows PC. Although I posted to Support about it I didn't expect a fix with Resistance breathing down their necks and it appeared to be something wrong with my account rather than my PC so I simply started a new account. No problem really.

I'm at work at the moment so will have to wait a bit to download SiSoftware Sandra (will get back to you with the results).

To Mister Frag; I have been to the Intel web site, but as I wrote in my post, there do not appear to be any drivers specific to the EP chipset. I'm hesitant to install a plain i815 or i815E driver in case it screws my system.

As an aside, I recently installed the Intel Application Accelerator and sure enough, it maked booting much faster. Can't say I've noticed much improvement in loading applications, except for Resistance but that could simply be the new BIS code. Has anyone noticed that the initial start-up of Resistance is faster than the old OFP?

Alx (who really should be working) wink.gif

Those drivers will work on your system, they are for all members of the 815 chipset family. The 815EP is the same as the 815E without the integrated graphics, and with a different memory and I/O controller.

Yep - use the intel chipset drivers. I have an 815ep chipset and use them. They also update the usb ports and a few other things. You may find your system runs much better.

Dont worry about intel graphics drivers b/c as you said you do not have onboard graphics.

Then update to the latest nvidia detonators and you should be rockin!

edit: the file you need is 'infinst_enu' latest version seems to be on 6/7/2002 4.00.1013

Thanks again guys,

ArakAtak, the file 'infinst_enu' is the Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility and I have already installed it (latest version is v3.20.1008). This was necessary in order to install the Intel Application Accelerator and other chipset drivers/utilities. I have the latest version of IAA installed (v2.2).

From the Intel chipset web page:

http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/815ep

There is only one link to a "Drivers and Utilities" page:

http://www.intel.com/design/software/drivers/platform/810.htm

This shows only two types of drivers: "Graphics Drivers" and "Video BIOS".

It looks like my chipset needs neither of these since it doesn't have onboard graphics capabilities. In fact, I now read that "Drivers from the AGP video card should be used." This is at page:

http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/agpdriver.htm

So I think I've come to the conclusion that with this chipset (which has no onboard graphics) the way the AGP functions is determined by the graphics card you have installed. Since I have the latest Detonator dirvers (28.42) I should be up-to-date.

Much thanks to all of you for your help however.

Alx

Ummm no - the chipset installation utility has the updated driver files that the chipset needs - It is a bit of a confusing name, maybe it should be called the chipset updater instead.

From the included readme:

The Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility installs

to the target system the Windows* INF files that outline to

the operating system how the chipset components will be

configured. This is needed for the proper functioning of

the following features:

- Core PCI and ISAPNP Services

- AGP Support

- IDE/ATA33/ATA66/ATA100 Storage Support

- USB Support

- Identification of Intel® Chipset Components in

the Device Manager

And I'm not sure what intel site you may be looking at but the latest version is definitely 4.00.1013

815 chipset drivers

4th item down in the list. I searched for win98se but looks to be ok for all OS

Thanks again ArakAtak,

I now can't find the web page I was looking at yesterday about the chipset installation utility. Doh! Am at work now so will have to wait and see what version I installed at home. Pehaps I'll just re-install it. Your right, from the name it is unclear exactly what it does and the necessary information is there but somewhat cluttered.

Thanks for all your help. Hopefully I can repay you by shooting you some time on a multiplayer mission wink.gif

Alx