Sign in to follow this  
atacms

Howitzer round does no damage over long distance

I used Manta to spot and adjust fire while a Warlus Howitzer sets up 640 meters away from a scrambler. 6 direct hit on the scrambler antenna dome does no damage. The splash animation is working though.

When I drive the Warlus up close I can one shot the scrambler with the Howtizer.

The same thing happened when I targeted a garage. Not sure if it's the same against armor/troopers. Didn't test it yet.

Sure this big gun works fine on point blank range but a howitzer is supposed to be used somewhere like 15 Kms away from target area right?

I've only tested long range ballistic engagements using the forward cannon on the carrier (not the plasma of course) in strategy mode - that one at least works just fine, even >1km. Pretty fun to watch from a Manta. :)

Are you testing this in the campaign or in strategy mode, btw.?

Like MadDogX I have also just tried with the carrier Shell cannon. I have hit targets at well over 1km with it. Meaning that the game does calculate that far away.

What I have found though is that it is sometimes hard to see what is actually being hit. With the carrier cannon I have many times thought I been hitting something with no effect, but trying some more and adjust the sight slightly have always rendered in a hit. It just takes some time. While the walrus indeed can have some issue with its howitzer it is also possible that it is like my experience with the carrier Shell cannon but with the difference of limited ammo - not to many tries. The visual explosion is also looking bigger then the actual blast radius, this might also be misleading of what is a hit.

In strategy mode.

A little more testing, this howitzer does massive damage to 3 Warlus in a base roughly 600 meters away. It also works on the turret, but not the garage.

The shell cannon on Walrus also does no damage to buildings without direct LOS.

and yes like MadDogX said, the shell cannon on carrier is working fine against both ground units and buildings.

Probably only those can be targeted could be destroyed by long range howitzer?

Edited by atacms
additional info