Sign in to follow this  
Thygrrr

Where to discuss User-Created Modding Tools?

Hi there.

I'm currently working on a toolkit to enable modding of Carrier Command: Gaea Mission. I want to open-source it so more people can get into modding as early as possible (it's just a 100 line python script to unpack the .cc files for now, anyway). More components will follow.

I'm not entirely sure whether this is in accordance to the Forum Rules to even discuss this here, as it, in a way, constitutes some (very basic) reverse engineering of the game's data files.

I don't want to step on anyone's toes, so is it okay to create a thread here? Should I create a BI-Wiki page instead (I just realized it's read-only...)? Should I go to ModDB or Carriercommandaholics instead?

Thanks!

--

Thygrrr

Edited by Thygrrr

Wow I have literally just posted a thread about modding too! I reckon posting here would be fine but if not then the BIS will move it :).

Welcome to the forums by the way Thygrrr! :D

Okay, my first little python tool is ready. I can now unpack the data00.cc, data01.cc, and data02.cc files. Interesting stuff inside, this game is going to be massively moddable, given the right tools.

There are still a lot of open questions (for example, CC:GM doesn't work with the unpacked files at the moment), but i'd like to share the tool so far so community modders can have a look deeper into the game.

Can I create an "official" thread about my tools here? (Moderators?)

Thanks!

---------- Post added at 18:43 ---------- Previous post was at 17:49 ----------

Correction: The game now runs with modded files. :-) It's super easy. Loving this already.

Edited by Thygrrr

I kindly ask you to not post any links or info about the tool you created until we are sure such is approved by the dev. I will contact him about this to be sure this project is ok (reverse engineering is not allowed and I assume this is what you did here).

When I know more I will reply and re-open the thread, or the dev himself can do that :)

Ok, we have an official reply and this tool is allowed. So feel free to release and discuss it here.

Just one note to everyone who will now jump from joy:

The EULA, as always, applies! Make sure with your posts, comments, discussions and releases you keep that in mind!

Edited by Guest