Sign in to follow this  
kraxous

Structures...?

What would you say to this form of gamemode/implant?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. What would you say to this form of gamemode/implant?

• WOW! I WOULD SO WANT THIS!
    • Yeah, that's really good!
    • Meh. Not bad.
    • Ehh, could be improved.
    • No way. This sucks.

So this may seem a stupid idea but I just have to put it out there...

This game is both Real-Time Strategy and a First Person Shooter; no doubt about it. So what if we could bring in a new form of gamemode? (I may be thinking too far ahead here but may aswell get it noted). Here is the idea in a nutshell: The Carrier is your Command Centre on the harsh sea, here you have command over everything. What if we was able to construct buildings? Now what I mean by this is if that we could man a Walrus or a Manta, (by this point we could bring in something called a 'Constructor' which builds everything), you select a structure from the reticle menu and have it dropped in from the command structure in space since it seems to make not a very big appearence throughout the game; from there, drones construct the building.

Let's take a look at Battlezone II: Combat Commander:

battlez2_screen001.jpg

What you are seeing here is called a 'Recycler', (the big mobile orange thing...), it is a command structure which allows you to build basic units which can build advanced structures. The Carrier will act as the Recycler. So let's make a small scenario: You find an island with no inhabitants, no structures, it's just an island but it's massive. Here you can build a command island. Your Carrier launches a Walrus/Manta which drops off a drone which allows you to create the HQ - the drone returns to the carrier and boards the Walrus/Manta that jettisoned it. Your HQ is established! Materials which are gathered from your mining facilities are used to create your base of operations. From your HQ, you can launch the constructor which could be a drone, an advanced Walrus, whatever the idea may be! Then you let your mind run free by creating a perimeter, soldiers, barracks, airfields; instead of just a garage which automatically releases a Manta/Walrus.

This isn't the idea to my advanced RTS idea either... I have lots more stacked up. I understand it's a stupid idea but I thought other people want want to hear it instead of talking to myself and saying: "Ah, yes! That sounds awesome!" in real life. Honest, I'm not insane.

:yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:

Thank-you for reading!

- Joe

This is one of those things that I can't see being added any time soon in an official capacity, but definitely popping up once the mod system is in place.

I can tell you this- my favorite game is X3:Reunion/Terran Conflict... but only when it's modded. What the game is at release and what it is 1 year from release? Completely different. If the modding system these guys put out is as flexible as some other games, what the game is today will be only the tip of the iceberg that it will become this time in 2013. >_>

Yeah, I can see where you are coming from. I understand that this will probably end up becoming a mod which is kind of a let down but better than nothing right?

I wouldn't think of it as a letdown. In some games, like the X Series and Elder Scrolls, later mods built by the more experienced community members can be equivalent to and sometimes a HIGHER production quality than what is found in the original game. There are many times where I actually hope the devs don't bother to make a change so the modding community can take a whack at it- thus giving an amazing quality mod and also freeing the devs to focus on more bug fixes and stability issues.

Depending on what the modding kit looks like, I definitely plan to take a shot at it when it comes out. I could see mods for this game being amazing... though my artistic talent stops short of stick figures these days, so I'll be sticking with the programming aspect of modding (if its possible in the kit) =D

Heck yeah! Sounds great! One thing I have always wanted to do in any gaming community is be a part of a modding team. In real, I'm a games designer and hope to actually get recruited by a company that makes good games *cough* Bohemia Interactive *COUGH*, but heck. I'll sure help you out with ideas if you do try to do some mods :3.

Heck yeah! Sounds great! One thing I have always wanted to do in any gaming community is be a part of a modding team. In real, I'm a games designer and hope to actually get recruited by a company that makes good games *cough* Bohemia Interactive *COUGH*, but heck. I'll sure help you out with ideas if you do try to do some mods :3.

The best way to go about being hired by a games company is by creating mods. It is the best way to portray to potential employers that you are capable of creating game content, and also that you are focused enough to push through the arduous development process. So this would be my one recommendation.

I can tell you this- my favorite game is X3:Reunion/Terran Conflict... but only when it's modded. What the game is at release and what it is 1 year from release? Completely different. If the modding system these guys put out is as flexible as some other games, what the game is today will be only the tip of the iceberg that it will become this time in 2013. >_>

I am also a fan of X3, though to be honest X2 held my interest for the longest period of time, especially with the galactic war mod, where you could declare war on another sector.

Regarding modding, if it all pans out, you will be practically capable of creating a new game with the tools. The area of modding is what we are addressing most at the moment.

The best way to go about being hired by a games company is by creating mods. It is the best way to portray to potential employers that you are capable of creating game content, and also that you are focused enough to push through the arduous development process. So this would be my one recommendation.

Creating a mod? Jesus... I've never tried! I wouldn't know where to start or anything :|.

Creating a mod? Jesus... I've never tried! I wouldn't know where to start or anything :|.

Modding gives you a lot of experience with that specific engine, especially if the company releases modding tools. That way you yourself can find out what you are capable of. Obviously it is hard work, but if it is something you enjoy then it will come by itself. Everyone starts somewhere, and mods are a decent way to begin a portfolio. Just to be clear, mods are not necessarily total conversions (such as The Dark Mod is for Doom 3 for example), but can be simple things such as creating a new weapon or vehicle. Even changing a model can be considered a mod. It just means "Modification". So the best approach is to start simple, give yourself a target of what to achieve, such as changing the damage a certain weapon does, or increasing the speed vehicles move at, etc. These are all very simple and small modifications. As you create these small adjustments, you start to gain experience with the format of the code or data structure, in that way, you also start to be able to better predict how long a task will take and thus be able to more realistically estimate how long it will take you to create a whole new vehicle, for example.

Also, do not start ambitious unless you have a hell of a lot of patience. It is precisely underestimation that results in many mods dying due to unrealistic time schedules, and thus failing to uphold deadlines.

As I said before, once we release the modding tools, there will also be documentation to help modders get started, not to mention an example to mod or two to show how things are done.