Sign in to follow this  
Tovarish

Fellow flight sim junkies, i need suggestions

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sadico @ June 29 2002,14:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

Dayglow, i remember F-22 ADF supported ditching too. It's great to land your F-22 in the desert after taking missile hits and survive  smile.gif

<span id='postcolor'><span id='postcolor'>

ADF F-22 air dominance fighter? ahhh my first contact with REAL flightsims..

i played Total Air War too, fancy game, played for hours.

I really became a aircraft Sweeper in single and in multi player.

Ahhh those were the days.

I took hits yes but i was a master in ditching the aircraft just about anywere...

Heck I even landed on enemy airfields under heavy AA fire.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sadico @ June 29 2002,14:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">OMG!, they even have the Polikarov I-16, I've had a thing for this plane ever since I was a little kid...sure it's kinda ugly and was obsolete when the war started, but it still managed to shoot down quite a few Bf-109's.

<span id='postcolor'>

If the I-16 is flyable i'm gonna buy the game ASAP! It was the best fighter the Republic had in the Spanish Civil War, and could outfight the first versions of the bf-109 (unless they had German aces on them, that's it).<span id='postcolor'>

Well, my comp's not that high-end unfortunately, plus I don't feel like waiting, who knows when it'll be out?. P III 733 (Overclocked to 900) 512 RAM, Radeon 7500...I'm actually about tio go out and take a close look at IL-2. Ah yes, the I-16 and the Spanish Civil War. smile.gif The Republicans called it "La Mosca" and the facists called it "La Rata"

Jeez, noone else remembers A10 Attack! ? And you call yourselves flight sim junkies tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ June 29 2002,10:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Jeez, noone else remembers A10 Attack!     ? And you call yourselves flight sim junkies  tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I've got the disk right here smile.gif Haven't loaded it back onto windows lately. Don't even know if it will work in xp. Love the sim, but I do give it the distinction of having the hardest marvericks to shoot smile.gif I never really flew the missions, really all I did was play with the physics engine. Also the SA wasn't that great b/c I didn't like the view system. Did you know F/A-18 Korea is by the same people as A-10 Cuba? And the markings on the A-10 were actually built with polygons b/c there were no textures in the game? Cool eh?

COLINMAN

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ June 28 2002,20:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hey guys, well, here's the deal. Before OFP came along, about the same time I started college and readed in my 486sx/25 for a Pentium III 733 (Overclocked to 900), I hardly ever touched FPS's. I was a flight sim junkie all the way, the more realistic and challenging the sim the better (my favourites were Falcon 3.0 and Su-27 1.5). Lately, long after finishing the  original 1985 Campaign and Red Hammer, I've been itching to get back into the virtual cockpit, and I want to buy the best flight sim out there, so how about you help me decide what it is and why? Gere's what I'm looking for in a sim:

Realism

Dynamic Campaign

Good Graphics

Good AI (I don't want to be able to predict exactly what the AI will do after the first few dogfights)

Realism

Good Multiplayer

Preferably some Eastern planes to fly (Hey I grew up with MiG's flying around my hometown)

Right now I'm leaning towards byuing Il-2. I love WW2 flight simms, and here's finally one that focuses on the Eastern Front, but alas I still don't know much about it.

So, your homework assignment for today is to inform me about your fabourite Flight sim. Let me know what the best thing out there is, and why.<span id='postcolor'>

Wait a few more months until Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 3 comes out. Microsoft's flight simulator engine has been the envy of every competitor for years now, and still remains unchallenged.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sweeper @ June 29 2002,15:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sadico @ June 29 2002,14:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

Dayglow, i remember F-22 ADF supported ditching too. It's great to land your F-22 in the desert after taking missile hits and survive  smile.gif

<span id='postcolor'><span id='postcolor'>

ADF F-22 air dominance fighter? ahhh my first contact with REAL flightsims..

i played Total Air War too, fancy game, played for hours.

I really became a aircraft Sweeper in single and in multi player.

Ahhh those were the days.

I took hits yes but i was a master in ditching the aircraft just about anywere...

Heck I even landed on enemy airfields under heavy AA fire.<span id='postcolor'>

I have F22 Total Air War still installed on my pc. That game was really great and there is a project to give it a new life with new graphics and gameplay enhancent just like sp3 did for Falcon 4.0. F22 TAW is still my favourite flight sim to date smile.gif

I guarantee the I16 is flyable when you download the 1.1 patch. In fact, there are two flyable variants ingame wow.gif

In addition, there are the...

FW190A4, FW190A5, and FW190A8

BF109E4, BF109E4/B, and I think the BF109E7

BF109F4

And for the Ruskies...

Pzl.11 or something, its a small Polish fighter.

A bunch of MiG3 variants

Bi1 rocket interceptor

and of course the I-16's

These are only the downloadable fighters, BTW, but I think I forgot some. There are TONS more already in the unpatched version of the game.

And in addition, this August they're going to make the ME-262 jet fighter for the Germans available, and for the Russians, the TB-3 bomber!!!

And to make it even better,theres an expansion coming out in the Fall. This expansion is gonna include the Stuka, a bunch of lend-lease English fighters, and a few American ones, and other kick-ass planes like the La-7, BF109K4, FW190D9, and other great stuff.

WHEEEE!!!!! biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (advocatexxx @ June 29 2002,19:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Wait a few more months until Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 3 comes out.  Microsoft's flight simulator engine has been the envy of every competitor for years now, and still remains unchallenged.<span id='postcolor'>

I totally agree with you, when it comes to non combat civilian flight engine.

I've found the MSCFS titles to be a little too arcadelike, even with full settings on. Damage modelling is annoying. Il-2 is one of the best combat FSs I've ever played.

But none of you can call yourself old school simmers unless you've played the original Microprose F-15 Strike Eagle biggrin.gif

It had a day night cycle, simulated land and sea battles, and a whole lotta stuff to blow up. And since there werent any textures they had to get real creative at times. Also, on the Cuba map, I spent hours flying as fast as I could through the deep ravines with the rivers at the bottom... damn that was fun, even If I crashed

A10 Cuba! was fantastic. What other game allowed you to fly through road tunnels? After smashing a wingtip off, and ripping part of the horizontal stabiliser away, you stagger out only to bounce the A/C off the roof of a shop and into a slope. The damage model was great, and I spent many hours just crashing the A/C for fun.

For a great Flight Sim?

Falcon 4.0 SuperPak 3

This is the definative simulator. Massive support, (Hell, the guys at F4UT recoded most of the EXE smile.gif ) and the best campaign engine ever featured in a flight sim. (This is one of the reasons I'm still playng it after all these years!wink.gif

Anyway check

www.frugalsworld.com for some more info or

http://f4ut.frugalsworld.com/index.shtml for SuperPak info.

Well, thanks for the suggestions guys, I went and got IL-2...I love the damage models! My jaw dropped when I was shooting at a Stuka and I shot it's left landing gear off. This game should keep me busy for a while....if I can get rid of one problem that is....For some reason, it takes 12 (Yes 12 minutes for the game to load...I timed it!wink.gif....I actually installed the game 3 times thinking it wasnt wortking before I decided to let it sit and see what happened....this is very strange since when I'm actually in the game it runs completely smooth with all the detail settings set to high. I'm at my folks right now downloading and burning the patches for it...I hope that fixes the problem, if not i'm e-mailing customer support and see what they say. Anyone else run across this problem?

Il-2 is now number 3 in my shopping list (2 is a Geforce 4 and 1 is Resistance). If that game is really all that good i'm gonna have a good time destroying nazi aircraft smile.gif I can't wait to try the taran attack and crash my obsolete fighter into a he-111 biggrin.gif

12 minutes to load?? woah...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

But none of you can call yourself old school simmers unless you've played the original Microprose F-15 Strike Eagle <span id='postcolor'>

I have played that game, but i guess it was when i was a very little kid biggrin.gif

A-10 cuba was great! i had lot's of fun with it, but it could have used some textures or gouraud shading.

The best flight sims out there (imho) are Falcon 4 (better with SP3) and Flanker 2. Eurofighter typhoon was crap, good graphics but arcade flight model.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sadico @ June 30 2002,19:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I can't wait to try the taran attack and crash my obsolete fighter into a he-111  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Ah yes the Taran...when I'm out of ammo and still have bombers to take out I like to clip their vertical tail with my wing.Make sure to do it from a decent altitude if you want to live....bailing out takes time in this one. Half the times when I bail out I don't make it. My coolest death so far was when my MiG-3's engine caught on fire, and the plane exploded a second after I bailed out, engulfing me in the fireball. I then got to watch my dead body freefall for a few thousand feet smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ June 30 2002,23:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">F15 Strike Eagle was classic. ahh, the good old days...<span id='postcolor'>

And F-19 Stealth Fighter.... The game that made me buy a soundcard. Ahhh, the Ad Lib. First ad on PC sound card ever.

Funny thing is, I still have it in my old 286 10mhz computer sitting in my basement.

jeez after looking at the screenshots of superpak for Falcon 4 I think ill go get that and reinstall Falcon...damn we like wow.gif

oh btw anyone looking into getting "Eurofighter Typhoon" DONT the graphics and game play are crap... (in cockpit view for example is similar to graphics i got on my old Amiga 500 imo)