Sign in to follow this  
BakaSan

"Bad serial number given in setup"

I am having huge problems with my copy of Take on Helicopters with Hinds DLC that I purchased from steam on Monday. These are the error messages that pop up The first is "Take on Hinds Setup. Can't find TKOH serial number in registry. Please

install TKOH and the re-run Hinds setup again." The next is "Take on Hinds Setup.

Setup encountered an error. Application may not work properly." Then it goes through

the ticking boxes, shows the Bohemia Interactive presents screen then it closes and the last

error is "Take On Helicopters. Bad serial number given in Setup."

I have run steam as admin, I have reset both steam and my computer, I have verified my cache several times and it always replaces a file; I am at my wits end with this. I can't do a reinstall as I have a slow connection plus only 20 gig on-peak and 40 gig off-peak for my cap. There has to be a simple way to get my game up and running. I am dying to gt into the cockpit, especially the Hind's, so please help me ASAP.

P.S. Please don't tell me to re-install, as I have stated above; it will not help.

Thank You

Baka San

First try launching the game directly via the executable. This should be located at "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Take On Helicopters"

21aiz5y.jpg

If that does not work, try completely shutting down your PC and unplug it from the wall outlet. Leave it unplugged for about 10 seconds. While it is unplugged, press the power button a few times to make sure all power is drained. Doing this will make sure your RAM is cleared. Start up again and try launching the game.

Should I start through STEAM, or from the install directory for the best results?

Edit: I mean after doing the unplug thing...

Edited by BakaSan

Start directly from the directory. You don't even need Steam to play ArmA or Take On Helicopters.

Looked good at first, the error messages about Hinds didn't show up, the ticking boxes appeared (two boxed at the end didn't tick if that means anything), the "Bohemia Interactive Presents" screen appeared but about 30 seconds later the "Bad serial number given in setup" error appear and the window closed. This is just ridiculous. I've invested so much time, money and effort into getting this game to work and I am getting nowhere. Why is this error occurring? What is the cause? Are you guys working on a patch for people who have this error? I know that ARMA II people have experienced the same error, I've tried those fixes and got nowhere, is this related only to STEAM purchases? I would like to play this game ASAP. I was so excited when I saw the Hinds DLC and actually had the money to get this bundle, I cleared these past few days to give my full attention to the game, but now I'm grounded and it's so unfair. Why won't this game work?

What are your full computer specifications? You can download and install Speccy if your aren't sure. Do you have the latest video card drivers?

Windows 7 Home Premium

AMD Phenom 9600 Quad-Core Processor 2.3 GHz

4GB RAM

GTX 260 Graphics NVidia Drivers Latest

I know my specifications aren't the problem, I have played the demo with no issues. I have the latest video drivers, my specs are MORE than enough to run the game. There is obviously a problem regarding my serial number, other wise the error wouldn't say so. I'm not some noob who doesn't know to check the simple things that would cause the game to fail on my system. I am getting really frustrated about this, it seems that I'm getting the run around here. Do you know what is causing this issue with your games? I have read on other posts that STEAM ends up selling more copies than what they have keys for and that they take a few days to register them with you, so as a result this error pops up. Is this the case? I want to know why I can't play this game and get it fixed ASAP.

Firstly, I do not work for Bohemia Interactive. I am a user just like you are, except I'm using up my free time to help you. Secondly, I never stated you were a "noob", I'm just trying to do my best to think of all possible solutions, even if that includes asking you to do things you may have already done or know how to do.

There may be an issue with your CD key not activating, which this has happened before with other users, as you have discovered. The best thing that you can do is contact the Bohemia Interactive support team where they will have the ability to check your CD key.

I am sorry, I've just been looking forward to playing this game for a while now and I am not exactly 100% in the happy department normally ATM; and this game failing just adds more negative aspects to my life. Thank you for trying to help me, but I was hoping for a more official response and mistook the star next to your name as an official BI team member symbol. I suppose the lack of the word "DEVELOPER" next to your name should of been a clue, but when you're feeling frustrated and time is ticking away, you see what you want to see rather than what's there. Once again I'm sorry if I was brash, I'm only 15% through my billing period and I've used 50% of my on and off-peak cap; with nothing to show for it.

EDIT: I have already contacted both Bohemia Interactive and STEAM, but am as yet to get any response from them. I wish they had a phone number so I could get this fixed quicker...

Edited by BakaSan
left out information

Same problem and I even took a day off to play. This is very disappointing.

Also bought the game on Steam.

Edited by BadSerialNumber

They do have a telephone number. It's right on that support page I linked to you. You may not have gotten an email response because they are just starting their day.

Also, I would suggest to give it some time as the keys may not yet be activated.

Ihave the game on steam and it's fine here. May be it's stupid but try to instal TOH, start it at least one then instal hind and try again.

Good courage.. :(

I didn´t get the add-on so dar. Little difference to the starter of the thread. Otherwise it´s the same result.. I´m just downloading and install it again. After that I will find something better to do. Maybe I will go out and enjoy a cup of real life :j:. Still. This great warez-defender security software does it´s job great for people that pay for their games with good money. respect!

---------- Post added at 11:42 ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 ----------

17 GIGABYTEs and the reinstallationprocess later... still the same *cough*.

We had this issue last night with one person and between myself and his friend a solution was found:

I found the solution thanks to my friend. It seems the setup wrote the cdkey in the wrong folder in the registry. It installed to HKLM > Software > Wow64Node > Bohemia Interactive Studio > Take On Noisecontrollers. What he did was export the key value, edit it to the correct folder (Bohemia Interactive Studio > Take On Helicopters) and then merge it.

We had this issue last night with one person and between myself and his friend a solution was found:

THANK YOU! I can't believe it actually worked. Just THANK YOU!

The thanks belong to Frost's friend in Switzerland but I shall let him know! :)

Hello everyone,

Since this thread is the top search result when searching for "take on helicopters steam bad serial number given during setup" I want to add another possible solution as well.

I recently bought a bundle of ToH + ToH:Hinds on Steam. After completing the download I could not start the game, because the Hinds installer would abort, claiming not being able to find the ToH key in the registry. The solution previously given in this thread did not work for me. After a lot of different tries the solution was easy, but also easy to forget about:

On my system (Windows 7 64bit) the remedy was the following: The steam client has to be started as Administrator (Exit Steam if currently running, right click on Steam icon -> Run as Administrator) when starting ToH for the first time, because otherwise it does not have the necessary permissions to write into the required registry locations. This needs to be done only once, next time Steam can be started normally.

Best wishes,

Ragewind

PS: Now that I'm through this I'm aware this is/should be standard procedure for game failures on steam, hope it helps someone though.

Hello everyone,

Since this thread is the top search result when searching for "take on helicopters steam bad serial number given during setup" I want to add another possible solution as well.

I recently bought a bundle of ToH + ToH:Hinds on Steam. After completing the download I could not start the game, because the Hinds installer would abort, claiming not being able to find the ToH key in the registry. The solution previously given in this thread did not work for me. After a lot of different tries the solution was easy, but also easy to forget about:

On my system (Windows 7 64bit) the remedy was the following: The steam client has to be started as Administrator (Exit Steam if currently running, right click on Steam icon -> Run as Administrator) when starting ToH for the first time, because otherwise it does not have the necessary permissions to write into the required registry locations. This needs to be done only once, next time Steam can be started normally.

Best wishes,

Ragewind

PS: Now that I'm through this I'm aware this is/should be standard procedure for game failures on steam, hope it helps someone though.

Yeah NICE! I had the problem with Arma 2 and Arma 2 OA, too.

You don't need to change something in the registry!

You only need Steam ONE time in Adminmode, then start Arma 2 and close it... then start Arma 2 OA and close it. Now you don't need Steam in Adminmode again and have Fun. If it happends in 2 Weeks again do it again ^^ Thx Ragewind.