Sign in to follow this  
lev

Foliage and Vision

It was 6 months ago so you can re-test this one if you like: AI facing away from you. You're about 50meters out, slowly walk towards them. See what happens. Last time I played around with it they'd put their weapon up and instantly turn around randomly to engage. Like spidey senses. Test the prone one, they just bring their weapon up and turn and engage. Be cool if they shouted contact or something. :D

3qc4u8.jpg

You lose this immersion when they are instantly alert, you cannot tell if they are really alert unless they have their weapon up. So you can't tell their suspicion levels, it's not like MGS with a big !!!! above their head, but if they acted as if they were suspicious it would be better I believe for feeling like you're against some kind of intelligence. In RVS they get suspicious and go into rooms, etc. Like other AI mods when they search, look around corners, etc.

Edited by Rye

Uh, ears?

Once you walk close enough, they suddenly decide that there are footsteps behind them. They make a very rough estimate based on the sound and turn to face it, acquiring you visually as they rotate. It's a very simple, two-step process. And they DO shout contact, the exact same lines you would hear if you were their squad mate.

You can tell if they're suspicious based on their stance and whether their gun is up, and suspicious units will investigate sounds from farther distances.

I agree that the visuals could be made more immersive, and personality added to the AI in general, but this is a military simulator, not a stealth simulator, and I hope they don't waste resources on cosmetics while the basic AI functions are still so flawed.

And since when don't default AI search and look around corners?

Edited by maturin

Investigate as in gun up, I'll walk over here. Oh now I'll walk over here, do a 360 and walk back this away!

It looks stupid, is stupid.

Investigate as in gun up, I'll walk over here. Oh now I'll walk over here, do a 360 and walk back this away!

It looks stupid, is stupid.

So readying your weapon and looking at the source of a sound to ascertain that there is no enemy there, that's stupid? Maybe play MGS instead?

If you call the absolutely no brain patterns the AI create and use, then yes, of course it's stupid. If it was logical, say searching specific spots or priority spots in buildings where you heard fire, or getting to an advantageous position to look over then +100. Never going to happen, instead we'll have them wander like headless chickens.

Uh, how do you imagine a computer is supposed to decide what a 'priority spot,' 'advantageous position,' or 'specific spot' (not sure what that means) is in a 3D environment that is several hundred square miles in area?

They investigate the sources of gunfire, engine noise and footsteps, advancing tactically through the given area to do so. If they are alarmed enough to use bounding overwatch, they will stick to cover and possibly flush you out. If you have ASR installed, they will sweep through buildings. What more do you want?

Also, this is now off-topic.

OT so last post. ASR, Zeus is +1 to vanilla. There's obviously room for improvement, it puts you off seeing their tracking patterns. I don't know how it would be improved technically, maybe others do. I've never had them flush me out but I've had them surround me.