Sign in to follow this  
Nahaz

UDP Connection string for availability monitoring

Hello

I'm trying to set up a connection check that will see if my server is available or not but since arma 2 uses UDP I need a string to send and a response but I can't find any info on it with google or searching these forums.

Could anyone help me?

Hello

I'm trying to set up a connection check that will see if my server is available or not but since arma 2 uses UDP I need a string to send and a response but I can't find any info on it with google or searching these forums.

Could anyone help me?

Try something like: "\xFE\xFD\t\xD9A\xF6\xD3" aka FE FD 09 D9 41 F6 D3

It's a gamespy challenge request, reply will be challenge response.

Hey

Sorry to bother but I can't find out how to calculate the response? I haven't really done much UDP at all so I'm kinda lost :(

What I'm trying to do is to use Pingdom (monitoring service) to check if it's possible to contact/join my arma server

If you get a reply the server is up.

If it's down you won't get one ;)

Ok, I'll have to check with Pingdom if they can accept any response :)

Thanks for your help so far!

---------- Post added at 16:21 ---------- Previous post was at 16:14 ----------

When doing a query on port 2303 (I guess since it's a gamespy challenge?) I don't get any data. Could that be your string? Because my server is available right now.

When doing a query on port 2303 (I guess since it's a gamespy challenge?) I don't get any data. Could that be your string? Because my server is available right now.

I'm assuming your server is actually hosted on 2302 (as it would be by default on an IP with nothing else using that port). If so, use that port instead.

GamePort + 1 isn't used for GS server info requests.

Oh ok, I read that it was Gamespy traffic going on that port so I just assumed it was the one to use.

When I try on the 2302 I get connection refused though and my firewall isn't blocking it...

I also checked with Pingdom and I have to supply the expected response string so if someone has it I would be very happy to get it :)

When I try on the 2302 I get connection refused though and my firewall isn't blocking it...

UDP is connection-less, so that error doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Did you possibly configure a TCP monitor?

I also checked with Pingdom and I have to supply the expected response string so if someone has it I would be very happy to get it :)

The response packet will not be the exact same every time. In fact, the only consistency I see is the first byte (0x09) and the last byte (0x00). See if Pingdom will allow you to only check the first X characters of the response, or perhaps a wildcard (or regex) match.