Sign in to follow this  
Nails077

The walrus might need better grip

Not posting this as an issue yet as I want to check with other users to see what they think of it first.

My own observations lead me to believe that the walrus understeers far too much, especially considering it has 4 wheel steering. This does seem to get worse as you put heavier armor on it but that makes sense. The issue is not that heavier armor affects handling, but rather the base level of grip being too low, and perhaps the amount the armor affects the handling. I think it could stand to be toned down a little.

Also I think the poor grip may be a contributing factor to why the pathfinding works so poorly. Having ordered a walrus to drive somewhere and then follow it with another walrus, I watched how it turned the wheels and where it actually went. It was sliding all over the place and often struggled to turn the way it meant to go.

I want to hear how the rest of you guys are experiencing the walrus handling.

It might be a possibility that the wheel animation just turns faster then the vehicle is supposed to move (out-of-sync with the ground movement) - depending how the game handles the movement. The visible result is the same though^^

Actually I did account for that. While I do agree that the wheel animation is too quick when turning to the point of looking silly, the walrus still slides too much. Following the AI as it drives along it does look a bit better since the AI seems to have analog control over the steering as opposed to the players full or nothing steering.

Sometimes if a surface is even slightly uneven the walrus might turn the opposite way of the way you are turning. I have observed an AI controlled walrus trying to do a full left turn and it very much struggled to stop itself from turning right. Also try turning while using the turbo and you are pretty much guaranteed to end up going backwards.

You can add the mantra to that list, the AI can't seem to target units that are behind walls even if they have LOS.

But back on topic, would weather not affect grip? Or is it just scenery?