Sign in to follow this  
rangoon

Mouse steeing with vehicles incompatible with trackIR?

I just got back to ArmA 2 after being away for a while. I am using the latest beta patch and the full OA suite. I recall having a nice setup before for controlling vehicles with my CH controls, mouse, keyboard, and TrackIR. Now, however, when I try to steer with my mouse, after a short while the whole thing goes rather bonkers. My steering goes awry and my view is forced up and down by the slightest up/down movements in the mouse.

Is there some way to change this behavior? It gets better as soon as I go back to ESDF for steering/movement, and then I can use the mouse again for a short while before it happens all over again.

The mouse steering for land vehicles in OpF/Arma doesn't work like an axis. Joystick and keyboard directly control the steering wheel, but mouse does not; instead, the mouse moves an invisible cursor around the screen, and the vehicle automatically attempts to move toward that cursor--using a sort of autopilot to do it.

So, as long as you bear in mind that you're moving an invisible cursor around which the automobile or tank will attempt to travel toward, you should be able to predict what the vehicle will do, to a reasonable degree.

I mostly use the keys for steering land vehicles, and only use small mouse movements to "boost" the steering wheel rotation acceleration when I need it. Keys are much more predictable, but being binary switches with fixed steering wheel rotation values, it takes longer to fully deflect your wheels when using keys than it does when using both keys and mouse in the same direction.

Aircraft work a bit differently, if you bind the mouse to "bank" instead of "turn." More like a joystick, although still not able to produce a constant stick deflection.

Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense, although I still don't understand why it wouldn't work with TrackIR. Why does it force the view to pitch up and down, overriding TrackIR in the process?

I still don't understand why it wouldn't work with TrackIR. Why does it force the view to pitch up and down, overriding TrackIR in the process?

I don't know. I've never used TrackIR with OpF/Arma. Sorry.