Sign in to follow this  
exall

Weird problem with resolution lod (subskeleton index out of bounds)

I have a strange problem with disappearing of a part of the model in second resolution mod. I tried to solve it for several days but stuck. It looks this way:

Another strange thing is that the wheels disappear only with textures applied.

The .RPT file tells this: "Error: SubSkeletonIndex out of bounds".

I would be glad for any help.

That is meant to happen, but happening too early (too close) is really dependant on how many Resolution LODs you have, how many faces/vertexes you have in each and how you numbered them.

As its landing gear, the other reason it can happen is if your landing gear in the other Res LODs are not named correct and are therefore not animated into the down position.

Textures? Cant see why it only happens that way.

How many Res LODs do you have? Do you know EXACTLY which one is disappearing on.

One way to visually see which is which; in the first Res LOD place 1 big cube floating above the plane, in the 2nd place 2 cubes, third place 3 cubes etc etc

Skeleton? Without a MODEL.CFG I could not guess

Edited by [APS]Gnat

At this time I have only 2 resolution lods in my model. So I know that this happen with second lod exactly. They're named properly. First - 1.0, second - 2.0. In first lod I have 15498 faces, in second - 7776. The selections are named exactly as they named in first lod. I made tests, and they are animated properly. They go up with gears properly when they are visible without textures. If I change their names then they're left outside in the air.

So I believe that the key to the solution of this problem is in that "SubSkeletonIndex out of bounds". If only I knew what's that mean..

Problem solved. It was an excess of limit for skeleton bones. I didn't know that there is such limit.

I noticed some time ago when I was working with animation that buldozer hides a lot of bones. I had to comment a part of bones in model.cfg to work with other part of bones. But I hadn't any idea that this will be a problem because the first lod worked properly despite the large number of bones.

Anyway, thanks a lot Gnat!!