Sign in to follow this  
clydefrog

Norrin revive and crashing in the sea

Hello, I am having 2 problems with a mission I am creating. Firstly, I'm using the Norrin revive script (v0.5) but when I fly a helicopter and crash it into the sea, there is no revive or respawn message (tried on multiple maps). It says *playername* was killed and stays on a black screen, if you press escape and then Respawn the same thing happens again (*playername* was killed and stays on a black screen). If you crash on land it is fine and the revive and respawn works as normal, I will get the option to spawn back at my base on an island then spawn normally.

My other problem is also a respawn issue but is caused in a different way. I have units spawning on the LHD on Thirsk Island for the start of the mission only, after that any other spawns will be on a small island on the map. They initially spawn fine on the carrier deck, the problem here is that if you respawn whilst on the carrier, when you spawn on the island you are swimming on the ground, I believe this is something to do with them having the "this setPosASL [getposASL this select 0, getposASL this select 1, 16]" script in their init fields. I have tried the mission using units not on the carrier (without setPosASL) and there is no respawn issue, again they spawn normally on the island.

In both cases I have also tried making a new map and only using the units and revive script without any other scripts or anything being run, to make sure it wasn't a conflict with any other scripts I am using, but I had the same results. I have been looking for quite a while to find something but I have found nothing, does anybody here have experience of either of these problems? Thanks.

Not sure about that, you may have to search for the script dedicated thread.

Just a quick thought, could you try and place the units actually on the ground, and use "this setPosASL [getposASL _carrier select 0, getposASL _carrier select 1, 16]", where _carrier would be a marker at the same location that your LHD?

I'm guessing here your units are editor-placed in the water, hence the swimming animation.

Not sure about that, you may have to search for the script dedicated thread.

Just a quick thought, could you try and place the units actually on the ground, and use "this setPosASL [getposASL _carrier select 0, getposASL _carrier select 1, 16]", where _carrier would be a marker at the same location that your LHD?

I'm guessing here your units are editor-placed in the water, hence the swimming animation.

I'm not quite sure what you mean, could you explain that a little more?

The units are placed on the LHD (which is there by using a script) and all have the setPosASL command to make them spawn on the top deck when the mission starts.

But the units are preplaced in the editor, right?

If this is the case, just move them so they are placed on some ground.

Basically, as i understand what you do, you placed some units in the water in the editor. Then a script creates at the exact same place the LHD, and some other script (or init line) move your units on top of the LHD.

What i suggest is you do exactly the same, but place your units on the ground somewhere, and use the init line (or script) to move them on the LHD deck.

But the units are preplaced in the editor, right?

If this is the case, just move them so they are placed on some ground.

Basically, as i understand what you do, you placed some units in the water in the editor. Then a script creates at the exact same place the LHD, and some other script (or init line) move your units on top of the LHD.

What i suggest is you do exactly the same, but place your units on the ground somewhere, and use the init line (or script) to move them on the LHD deck.

Ok I know what you mean. Yes that's what I did but I wouldn't know how to have them placed on the ground somewhere but move them to the carrier deck to spawn by using a script.

Edited by clydefrog

Well basically you'd use the same exact line you used to have them spawn on the deck, the difference being you don't just elevate them 16meters up, you set up the other coordinates.

Place a marker called _carrier where you want the LHD to spawn, place the units somewhere on the island and add this to the init line of each unit:

this setPosASL [getposASL _carrier select 0, getposASL _carrier select 1, 16];

This should do the trick.

Ah ok, I have never actually used/changed the other "select 0" and "select 1" values before, only the height value. So if I understand you right, I just place the marker on the carrier position and then the this setPosASL [getposASL _carrier select 0, getposASL _carrier select 1, 16]; line will automatically set the unit position to the carrier, so you don't change the x and y values? I'll open it up now and see what happens.

edit: I take it you leave out the underscores because it said something about "Local variable in global space" and wouldn't let me use it.

edit 2: I just tried it using this setPosASL [getposASL carrier select 0, getposASL carrier select 1, 16]; with the marker name as carrier and the unit spawned in the place on the ground, they didn't move.

---------- Post added at 14:37 ---------- Previous post was at 14:02 ----------

Ok I got them to move by naming the boat (that runs the script to change it into a carrier) as carrier, now the units spawn on it but still if you respawn whilst on the carrier, when you spawn back on land you are swimming in the ground.

---------- Post added at 16:06 ---------- Previous post was at 14:39 ----------

I thought I'd fixed it by moving the spawn marker onto an object but it didn't work, most of the time the unit will still respawn swimming. Now another problem on top of that is only the first unit i select to play with will get a revive message when they die and get to pick where to respawn, if I then suspend the game and pick a different unit from the lobby and respawn that unit they will immediately spawn without a revive message etc. Every unit that I try to use after that will immediately spawn at that place when they die or I click respawn. It doesn't matter which unit I pick to play with first, it works the same way every time, first unit gets revive message and respawn location choice (but spawns swimming more often than not) and every unit after gets no revive message or respawn choice but does not have the swimming problem.

Edited by clydefrog

Ok from placing the units on land with no setPos command, and then flying to the carrier to land on it then respawn, I've found out that the swimming when you spawn again is caused by respawning over water and nothing to do with spawning over water at the mission start.

Could this problem I'm having with switching to other units after the one i start with - and them not being given a revive message and spawn location choice - be something to do with JIP in the script? I take it JIP stands for Join In Progress?