Sign in to follow this  
SpecOp9

Will ARMA 3 support video files / image sequences?

I think you might be misunderstanding the point of the exercise. :D

I understood that well enough, thank you. :bigglasses: I was trying to push forward the discussion (maybe not the place, that is something i agree) on the whole compositing with footage that has a random (read - unstable) framerate.

From my own experience, it is N times harder to do it right, even if start and end fits, because the non-rt part (render part) will always have the same framerate, while the other footage won't. One solution to the fact that in A2 you cannot force a stable framerate, is to capture everything using a lower acctime, which, again, from my own experience, allows me to run the game almost maxed out (with high viedistance, even if not maxed) with a stable vsynk capped 60FPS.

Moreover, when composing, by making the slow-mo footage run at normal speed, the possible fps fluctuation will never be noticed. It's a bit of a cheat, i know, but the result is smooth as butter footage.

That was also another problem with this, ARMA doesn't have 35mm camera lens settings and such. At the same time however, that didn't seem to really matter too much.

The little wobble mid-way through was more than likely AE CS6's new 3d camera tracker being wonky... I think camera tracks will be far more accurate with some glowing green X markers on the ground that the tracker can pick up on, it was a dark scene and it didn't have many details to catch.

I think the only way this could possibly work when it comes to the frame rate, is having some kind of script command that forces a 23.976 frame rate. Or, even a script that adjusts and matches the speed of the image sequences to the speed of the current in-game frame rate.

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 PM ----------

Don't get me wrong, I love progress, but part of the "charm" of the ArmA series is WYSIWYG. There is no pre-rendered or completely composited stuff ingame, its all made ingame, warts and all.

I'm with you, but this is more of a technique for modders, not something I see Bohemia doing with their game. You'll still get the ARMA 3 you know love and want - but this could definitely be beneficial to me and other modders who really want some extra BOOM in their missions/campaigns/mods. Especially me when it comes to lightcycles being deployed and blowing up in a spectacular fashion :P