Sign in to follow this  
theavonlady

Before you install resistance...

ok..i'm dumb...

so dose all these mean that OFP:R is inherited from original OFP?

like inheriting classes in C++?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">so dose all these mean that OFP:R is inherited from original OFP?

<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, it inherits - and it overloads.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Suma @ June 25 2002,09:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">New "Resistance" engine features (like specular reflections, smooth terrain or user-adjustable visibility or sockets netcode) will be available in OFP missions and on OFP islands, if you will use Resistance executable to play them (which is possible).

The purpose of leaving "old" OPF installation intact is mostly to maintain compatibility with "old" OFP 1.4x servers. This "old" installation will be unchanged and it will not have any new features.<span id='postcolor'>

Whilst I can understand that there is a need to keep features developed for OFP:Res out of "old" OFP (else nobody would buy Resistance they would just get a patch), I am disappointed to hear that it looks like there will be no future patches for "old" OFP. Surely there are bug fixes, tweaks and maybe even netcode improvements deveolped with OFP:Res which could be passed on to the "old" OFP.

wink.gif i'm very confused right about now. So i'll keep it to 1 ? which will be if i put in a new gun in my addons folder that came with a cpp ? do i gotta re-install my ofp, or is that only for the ppl whom got the new sound pack ?

People I think you may not be understanding what happens when you develop a program.

In the normal development cycle as we all learn at school you go through an iterative improvement sequence with a project but during the sequence you make errors in your understanding of the project.

At the beginning you make a lot of errors. You do not realy understand what it is that you are doing. With each iteration you understand the project better but all the time you are building in more errors and misunderstandings. Certain of these errors particularly the ones made at the start are in core sections of a project and can not be removed or corrected without a total rewrite.

This happens more as the size of the project increases and there are more people involved in its construction.

Evetualy you have to bite the bullet and do that rewrite if you are to advance the project. The old OFP engine has been through a lot of iterations and its time to start again but it is backwards compatable and I for one would prefer BIS to go on advancing the OFP engine. wink.gif

Regards walker

hmmmm god fianlly done reading, I didnt see any thing or my blind eyes missed it while reading. but from what I or my little brained named Butt head understood OFP:R wont let you use the addons that people made for OFP? or will I just need to move them to OFP:R addons folder?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Vampire @ June 26 2002,09:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">hmmmm god fianlly done reading, I didnt see any thing or my blind eyes missed it while reading. but from what I or my little brained named  Butt head understood OFP:R wont let you use the addons that people made for OFP? or will I just need to move them to OFP:R addons folder?<span id='postcolor'>

Maybe you missed these words from Suma:

"There will be two Addons folders. Addons placed in Res/Addons will be visible only from Resistance. Addons placed in Addons will be visible from both old OFP and Resistance. If addon with identical file name will be placed in both Res/Addons and Addons, only Res/Addons version will be used in Resistance."

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Vampire @ June 26 2002,08:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Butt head understood OFP:R wont let you use the addons that people made for OFP? or will I just need to move them to OFP:R addons folder?<span id='postcolor'>

OFP:R will use all addons installed in "old" OFP (in Addons folder) - and besides of that, it will also enable you to install addons specific to Resistance (in Res/Addons folder).

To use addons, missions and campaigns you have installed in "old" OFP you do not have to do anything - they will be used automatically.

Nobody has mentioned the sound fix's, the footstep bugs and that.

will the original OFP installation have the Footstep bug, and the resistance version not!?? confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (cpl_BOB @ June 26 2002,11:02)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Nobody has mentioned the sound fix's, the footstep bugs and that.

will the original OFP installation have the Footstep bug, and the resistance version not!?? confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

The original version will not be changed at all by installing resistance.

So the only question is whether when running the resistance EXE to play, have they fixed the problem.

There was another thread where people said they've noticed an improvement to this problem when playing 1.60 beta.

ok,, but what about the textures? if we use the resistance EXE, will the original islands be using the new textures, or new improved geometry??

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (cpl_BOB @ June 26 2002,11:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">ok,, but what about the textures? if we use the resistance EXE, will the original islands be using the new textures, or new improved geometry??<span id='postcolor'>

If you use the resistance EXE, the original islands will use old textures and old models of houses and trees, but the terrain geometry will be smoother.

hold on,, but wont that mean the Game will be notably slower than OFP was on slower systems?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (cpl_BOB @ June 26 2002,11:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">hold on,, but wont that mean the Game will be notably slower than OFP was on slower systems?<span id='postcolor'>

1) If you have any card supporting HW T&L, impact of smoother terrain will be minimal or none, escpecillay when using "Normal" or "Low" terrain detail settings. To use "High" or "Very high" you need fast HW T&L card and fast CPU.

2) You are able to select what terrain resolution you want to use. If you want, you are able to use exactly the same terrain resolution as in old OFP (it is now called "Very low").

3) You can also select viewdistance. Based on what you like more, smooth terrain or large viewing distance, you may adjust the values as you like.

..but what is when a Mission is setting the "setviewdistance"?

Which setting will have higher priority, the Client-OFP:R-Setting or the setting in the mission?

What about dedicated Servers? Do Server-housing companies have to run 2 Versions of OFP on their servers? Or is the OFP:R dedicated able to host "old OFP only"-clients, too?

SUMA, will a P3 850 mhz and geforce 3 ti500 be enough to support High detail textures and normal viewdistance.!!confused.gif?confused.gif?confused.gif