Sign in to follow this  
exikutioner

Raid 0 SSD's and Arma

So I got to thinking the other night, what if one put two 120GB SSD's in Raid 0 array, and installed Arma. I have an OCZ Vertex 2 (some 500mb read) and if I understand Raid 0 correctly, that would increase the bandwidth pipe to something close to 1GB read time. Having Arma already on my Vertex 2, would I see a performance increase with a Raid 0 array? Or are we talking 0.0009%, where its not really worth the money?

I've got ArmA on 3 SSDs in RAID 0. They are old Corsair P256s, so performance isn't as good as you would get with your newer SSDs, but yes, you would see an increase in performance (as far as read/write goes, anyway).

Any improvements based on storage (HD, SSD, Raid) will not help directly for better FPS performance. It will help for any situation where data access (terrain streaming, loading of new objects) is involved as the data is faster available. So LOD loading should be faster aswell as texture loading. Although in FPS you wont see any significant increase, the overall feel might be smoother.

Ofc island loading times will be a lot faster.

Just a fyi, last time I check'd. If you use sdd's in a raid array (raid 0) there is no trim support. If your not sure what trim support is I highly recommend reading up on it.

Just a fyi, last time I check'd. If you use sdd's in a raid array (raid 0) there is no trim support. If your not sure what trim support is I highly recommend reading up on it.

This Toms Hardware article was posted on the 23rd of November. Cannot find any more info though. Is it still in the pipeline for Intel or have they scrapped it?

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Intel-RST-SSD-TRIM-RAID,14048.html

I appreciate the responses so far, and understand that the setup would reduce shuttering/LOD issues while playing. Given that I have Arma already on one SSD, is it worth the $150+ for another SSD? Or are the gains minimal at best?

I would sa no. If you already have arma installed on a ssd im pretty sure u wont se any difference.

Do you have any LOD/stuttering issues now ?

Gains are minimal i would think. If you have some free Ram to use, i think it's worth to try Ramdisk (there are some threads about it, use the Search) and place some of the most-used/streamed pbo's on it (terrain and structures first).

Myke;2136478']Gains are minimal i would think. If you have some free Ram to use' date=' i think it's worth to try Ramdisk (there are some threads about it, use the Search) and place some of the most-used/streamed pbo's on it (terrain and structures first).[/quote']

i did try ramdisc, my performance worsened a lot, game began to stutter + blocky textures at trees/vegetations appeared. Not every's man solution.

i did try ramdisc, my performance worsened a lot, game began to stutter + blocky textures at trees/vegetations appeared. Not every's man solution.

That's why i wrote "worth a try" and not "perfect solution". ;)