Sign in to follow this  
TheCaptain

F-15E Mudhen

Eagle-13.jpg

Arguments for putting an F-15E into OpFlash:

1) It's a dual seat fighter: A gunner and a pilot can balance workload. It's a b*tch to try to fly a high-speed fighter AND track targets. Ideal for multiplayer.

2) It's incredibly versatile: It can carry an air-ground load, A-A only, and can carry any AG ordinance the military can design. A possible loadout is 4 Sidewinders, (AMRAAMS would be pointless), 6 Mavericks, 12 CBU-20's or Mk-82's, and 1 Mk84 or 2000lb LGB, not to mention 450 cannon reounds. It would be a perfect addition the the OpFlash inventory.

3) The F-15E is well suited to poor-weather, low-visibility, low-altitude fighting. Unlike some of the aircraft people want in OFP, such as F-22's and MiG-29's and such hogwash, the F-15E was designed from the inside out to take out ground targets dwon in the mud, which is where teh affectionate nickname came from. Eagles soar up high in the clouds, but this hen waddles in the mud and does their dirty work. Of course the original F-15 slogan was "not a pound for air to ground", but the E was revamped from the ground up for such fun.

4) F-15E's are well suited for taking out 'soft' air targets, like tank columns, AA defenses, SCUDs, helicopters, artillery, etc. It would fit nicely into the OFP battle universe, with a little balancing.

Now, arguments against:

1) It's a fighter! High altitude + high speed do not mix in the OFP engine!

True, the F-15 can go mach 2.5 at high altitude... but who says it'd have to be programmed to go that fast and that high? If it were given slightly better params than the SU-25, it'd be no big deal. Say 800kph + 800km ceiling.

2) It would unbalance the game! You'd need SAMs/AA defenses and choppers would be very vulnerable!

Sure, the F-15 is powerful, but OFP is also a semi-realistic simulator. Those Su-25's need some chasing down! Plus, it would be a great counterpart to the A-10 and it's tank busting style. For example, WIld-Weasel missions could be flown to clear the way for the A-10s

3) Fighter/Bombers are supposed to engage targets at very long distances! AND it would fly over the island in .0002 seconds! It would STILL unbalance the game and be worthless!

If you cut down the distance for engaging/radar and it's weapon systems power, you'd have a balanced fighter, just as long as you added a few AA missiles to the Su-25.

All in all, I feel that a well-balanced F-15E would be a grand user-made addition to Operation Flashpoint (once the SDK comes out) and it's battlefield simulation, though possibly not perfectly suited for widespread 'official' use.

(Edited by TheCaptain at 7:33 pm on Dec. 3, 2001)

Something tells me those guys are gonna come over here and start b*tching about worthless things in the upgrades.

Hahahaha! You couldn´t help yourself could you? Well a F15 would be absolutely smashing but the map is just to small.

I wonder what happens when i reach the end of the world???I should be there in about 10 secs with one of those birds... hmmmmmm.....

(Edited by Julie Holland at 1:04 am on Dec. 3, 2001)

Well, like I said, if you scaled the speed back from Mach 2.5 to a more reasonable speed, you'd have a capable all-weather two seat fighter/bomber. Also, dogfights are supposed to be confusing, and it would be nice if OFP had a Hind-buster. Cluster bombs would probably be the best choice for the 12 small sized AG bombs, for taking out convoys and clusters of troops.. which is what the F-15 commonly does. Not to mention the sidewinders, mavericks, and the 20 mike-mike vulcan, and you've got a d*amn good aircraft... just as long as it didn't fly over the map in 10 seconds.

Perhaps if there was an action that would punch the aircraft into low/medium/high throttle and afterburner, then having 'w' for the throttle would make a lot more sense, because you could govern your speed without micromanaging. If speed is really the only issue with an F-15, then it can be dealt with easily. It's not as if OFP is supposed to be incredibly-ultra realistic to the nth degree...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from TheCaptain on 8:55 am on Dec. 2, 2001

Eagle-13.jpg

1) It's a dual seat fighter: A gunner and a pilot can balance workload. It's a b*tch to try to fly a high-speed fighter AND track targets. Ideal for multiplayer.

2) It's incredibly versatile: It can carry an air-ground load, A-A only, and can carry any AG ordinance the military can design. A possible loadout is 4 Sidewinders, (AMRAAMS would be pointless), 6 Mavericks, 12 CBU-20's or Mk-82's, and 1 Mk84 or 2000lb LGB, not to mention 450 cannon reounds. It would be a perfect addition the the OpFlash inventory.

3) The F-15E is well suited to poor-weather, low-visibility, low-altitude fighting. Unlike some of the aircraft people want in OFP, such as F-22's and MiG-29's and such hogwash, the F-15E was designed from the inside out to take out ground targets dwon in the mud, which is where teh affectionate nickname came from. Eagles soar up high in the clouds, but this hen waddles in the mud and does their dirty work. Of course the original F-15 slogan was "not a pound for air to ground", but the E was revamped from the ground up for such fun.

4) F-15E's are well suited for taking out 'soft' air targets, like tank columns, AA defenses, SCUDs, helicopters, artillery, etc. It would fit nicely into the OFP battle universe, with a little balancing.

Now, arguments against:

True, the F-15 can go mach 2.5 at high altitude... but who says it'd have to be programmed to go that fast and that high? If it were given slightly better params than the SU-25, it'd be no big deal. Say 800kph + 800km ceiling.

2) It would unbalance the game! You'd need SAMs/AA defenses and choppers would be very vulnerable!

Sure, the F-15 is powerful, but OFP is also a semi-realistic simulator. Those Su-25's need some chasing down! Plus, it would be a great counterpart to the A-10 and it's tank busting style. For example, WIld-Weasel missions could be flown to clear the way for the A-10s

3) Fighter/Bombers are supposed to engage targets at very long distances! AND it would fly over the island in .0002 seconds! It would STILL unbalance the game and be worthless!

If you cut down the distance for engaging/radar and it's weapon systems power, you'd have a balanced fighter, just as long as you added a few AA missiles to the Su-25.

All in all, I feel that a well-balanced F-15E would be a grand user-made addition to Operation Flashpoint (once the SDK comes out) and it's battlefield simulation, though possibly not perfectly suited for widespread 'official' use.

<span id='postcolor'>

Isn't this game suppose to be as realistic as possible? -now you want to throw in a plane that looks like a F15, but is in fact a made-up one. Not that it matters, since after reading this thread BIS isn't just gonna say: "Well, ok, let's put that in!", so your arguments and counter arguments are absolutely useless.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Zpinx1 on 8:07 pm on Dec. 3, 2001

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from TheCaptain on 8:55 am on Dec. 2, 2001

Eagle-13.jpg

Now, arguments against:

<span id='postcolor'>

<span id='postcolor'>

Whas your point?

I don't agree with you...I would argue my reasons, but I don't really see the point.

Nice to see someone putting lots of effort into research and coming up with a nice balanced arguement though.

If it works I would gladly fly it, but I can't see it working properly to be fair, not an be realistic at the same time anyway.

Flight sims never had that ground-pounding action I look for. OpFlash is the first 'real' game to incorporate a virtual battlefield... one that works on all fronts. Flight sims are just pushing buttons and launching missiles, but OFP is about *combat*

And don't YOU think that they altered the A-10, and a lot of otehr units in OFP for purposes of game balancing? Adjusting the speed and ceiling of an F-15 would be no different.

And I think you misunderstand... *I'M* programming the F-15 into OFP, SDK or no SDK.

OFP can't simulate fixed wing air craft at all, I would perfer OFP without the A-10 and Su25 personaly, If they had a few extra helicopters i would be more happy.

F-15 is still too fast the engine, pretty much everything in the game is unrealistic in speed or handeling.

The point you got there can be the solution for this problem ! Why not limit the maximun speed of this beauty ! smile.gif

That's limiting realism even more in the engine, Another reason OFP can't take Aircraft well, when it does its unrealistic sad.gif

You're a bit right there but would you see it realistic that a tank can run over every d*amn tree on the map, ecept those who are in a forest !!!

Hey guys, while they're at it I have another great idea. They should add the space shuttle too.

Pros:

I think it would be cool. They could change the speed and paramaters and such to make it fit into the game a little better I guess. Maybe if it could hover, fly slowly, take off from a runway and drop bombs it would work ok. Then it would be cool to have the space shuttle.

Cons:

It shoots up into orbit around the earth, and so would not but of much use in OFP.

Don't worry about that though, like I said above it could be changed to work out great!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Julie Holland on 2:24 pm on Dec. 4, 2001

Congratulations, you just made the dumbest suggestion ever :-)<span id='postcolor'> I thought my Ewok suggestion was the dumbest ever. </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm still waiting for my Ewok Resistance fighters.  They'll make some crazy s**t contracptions to destroy a T-80 tank with logs or rocks.  Or they'll use a stone and a sling to take out a Machine Gunner from like 300m away.  Or how about the Ewok Air Force, a hang-glider that drops 5 pound rocks on tanks.

ewok-transparent.gifmovie_bg.jpg

I want my Ewoks!<span id='postcolor'>

Eagle-13.jpg

Now, arguments against:

<span id='postcolor'>

Well i would like to see some dogfighting give russia

SU-37's and U.S. F-15E or 14 or 16 but it wont happen sad.gif