Sign in to follow this  
engima

Dedicated Server Restart

Hi there!

Background:

I have the following problem with my latest mission. On mission start, players are spawned to a random location in Chernarus, and walls are built up to form a temporary prison (forming the start scene). Mission starts when a player pick up a weapon or when a player gets 12 meters from the start position. Mission also uses Norrin's Revive script.

Problem:

On dedicated server, when I start mission, players green up before continuing, and everything starts in its natural order, I never experience any problems (some other do, but I don't). However, when I play in multiplayer and restart mission, the mission doesn't behave like when I started it the first time. Sometimes a player or some players wake up dead. Sometimes players start separated , some of us on on the correct spawn position, and some of us on respawn marker (I use Norrin's Revive as I mentioned). And often there is an AI among us, or rather far away, but still in the group, but mission doesn't have any AI. I have worked with this much, but I cannot figure out what is wrong.

Question:

Now I wonder, isn't everything (all global variables, all markers, everything) reset when a dedicated server is restarted? Because if server was really reset I cannot imagine why the errors occurr after restart, but not after first start. So what is not reset when I restart a dedicated server, that I need to handle in the mission?

Link:

Mission: Escape Chernarus. Current official version (1.5) is not the latest. I have synchronized things during startup so the start sequence is better, but main problem still remains. If I restart dedicated server mission sometimes fail to start correctly. Problem is easy to test if you have two players on server, start mission and then restart server. If it doesn't happen first restart, then do it a couple of more times and you should soon see what I mean.

Hi,

you are talking about the #restart command, right?

If so, I don't think this is a mission specific problem.

The #restart command is bugged. And has been for a long time. Slots disappearing and other phenomenons.

I never use it because of that.

Always use #missions if you want to restart a mission. (I think most server Admins are aware of that)

Ok, thank you very much, I'm glad to hear that! The reassign option seem to work for me (in my local unreleased beta version), so then I guess there is nothing more I can do to make it better! I've not been around very long so I didn't know that is a known issue. Thanks again!

No problem. I don't know about #reassign. Could be okay. But #restart is definitely buggy. Even with the official mp scenarios by BI. So i guess, there's nothing you can do with your mission, to make it work properly. :thumbsdown:

Edit

There you go

Bug #3309: Using #restart or #reassign in the (dedicated) server gives unpredictable results

Edited by sxp2high
Ticket