Sign in to follow this  
Sampieru_Corsu

Trigger countdown problem

Hello Eveybody

here's my problem:

In my mission, I want a custom sound to be played after a couple of seconds. The sound is summoned by a radio call. So this is what I do:

There's a trigger: activated by radio alpha. On activation: playsound "mysound". Countdown: 10/10/10

ok? Well, in the preview, I do 0-0-1 and bing! here goes my sound, right after! It doesn't wait for the 10 secs to start!

I even tried with another situation, to see if I understood this countdown thing: I put a bmp somewhere, and the trigger with on activation "nameofbmp" setdammage 1, countdown 10/10/10 and activated by radio alpha. Then, in the game, I call radio alpha and blam! the bmp explodes instantly! where has my countdown gone?

I don't get it! is there something I'm doing wrong or what?

thanks in advance for your help!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">is there something I'm doing wrong or what?<span id='postcolor'>

Probably yes! tounge.gif

What are the other attributes of the trigger you are using?

Try switching the "countdown" setting to "timeout"

Otherwise i don t think it s possible with only one trigger on a radio command.

Make that Radio trigger a switch and link it to another trigger with the sound and put countdown there.

Just a thought, don t know if that works i m at work so can t test

Cheerz

Well... I didn't think the other attributes could matter. The only thing I want is a sound effect to be triggered a certain time after a radio call...

So, I leave the "axe" and "angle" boxes set to 50/50/0 default, why not? and "ellipse" or "rectangle" shape don't seem to matter, right?

Then I choose activated by "radio alpha" and "once", because I want it to happen , er, "once". "present" should not matter, since there is no side involved.

Then, the main thing: the *countdown*! I set it to 10.10.10, since I saw on the forums and the tutorials that it is what has to be done if I want a 10 sec. delay!

Type "none", no name and no text.

condition "this"

on activation playsound "name of my sound"

and... that's it, right?

Should I care about something else if the only thing I want is just a sound to be played 10 seconds after my radio call!

But the problem seems to come from "radio" triggers, in fact! because, as I said in my previous post, if I replace the "playsound" thing with,say,the destruction of a vehicle, well, I've got the same problem: on radio activation: Blam! the vehicle is destroyed with no delay, although I set a countdown in my trigger attributes...

Some people suggested the use of *two* triggers, but it seems rather complicated when the countdown thing on *one* trigger should be enough!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sampieru_Corsu @ June 11 2002,11:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">ok, JAP...

thanks... I will try the 2 triggers thing, then...

bye<span id='postcolor'>

Not that hard !

You can make the seize 0x0 and put it at the side of your map so it doesn t take up space.

Could be you can t link or group two triggers ( i never done it )

You can solve that by naming the radio command trigger ( for instance RAD1 )

And put a condition inside the Voice trigger

RAD1=true

Hope this helps

Cheerz

another way to do that (a la starcraft trigger method) is tack on a gamelogic move to the end of the trigger (ie after 10 seconds), make it move the gamelogic to the activation zone of another trigger with just the sound, and key that trigger to go off by game logic, and if the trigger needs to be used more than once, tack on the end of the sound trigger a move command to move that gamelogic back to where it started from, and it can be done over again.

here is an example of how to do it for just sound, u can add other stuff to it..,

make a game logic, name it game

make a second game logic and place it in the activation zone of the second trigger, name it game1

make a 3rd game logic name it game2, and place it somewhere on the map, (not in any trigger zones)

trigger #1

size a/b 0

repedidly

activation= raido code

set timer (however much time u want)

condition= this

on activation= game setpos [(getpos game1 select 0),(getpos game1 select 1)]

(then whatever else u need)

trigger #2

size a/b 50

repedidly

activation game logic

condition= this and ((game) in thislist)

on activation= game setpos [(getpos game2 select 0),(getpos game2 select 1)]

(then add your effects to this trigger)

there is probibly a simpler way to do this, but this way works, i used the starcraft map editor too much, and this was the one of the only ways to spring a trigger biggrin.gif  but it will work, toy around with it.

hope this helps

AAF_Eagles_Talon