Sign in to follow this  
Swedish Mercenary

Artillery

I would really like som artillery units like the 155mm Field-howitzer type 77b or maybe a tubemortar and they could be aimed with the map.

They could have a long reload time so one side wouldnt win to easy.

The owitzer could have an minimum of 100m so it only could be used as artillery.

aimed with the map?...grrrrrr

dont make me start this again sad.gif

and no artillery, mortars are fine tho (tube mortars)..from 60 to 80 mm, no 120 mm are needed.

What about AT-gun? Something like a cannon that can be moved with the help of a jeep. You could have two people who used it, one who are shooting and one that are reloading (getting ammo from the jeep or something).

At least it's a idea...

Its an idea and ive seen footage from ww2 of ppl using flak cannons as AT guns. But do they still do that?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Pete on 3:03 pm on Nov. 29, 2001

aimed with the map?...grrrrrr

<span id='postcolor'>

Aimming with with map could be done in a way where you dont just point at the map.

Maybe like one of these ways.

1. You enter map cordinates into somekind of computer in the howitzer (have a keypad in gunners/commanders position) and the the gun will move into the right position.

2. You have gages showing Angle/meters gun will shot and one for tower direction. You then have to use map and compas for direction to target.

Both uses map to find target area and both have to rely on a second person to call in cordinates for fire. So in this way it wont just be a point on map attack and it will take some time to get gun ready so it will be hard hitting moving targets.

For both there might need to be a new command set under attack or something where you can say cordinates if you are commander like a command that is named AIM and under that you have to do single select each info (cant remember if its 4 or 6 that is used in OFP, hmmm isnt it both like ab 23 and 12 34 56???)

Also needed would be a command that can send cordinates to a non group person

HEHE welll let him be angry what ever. Game is built on trying to be realistic and i dont think any kind of artillery be it mortars howitzer or MLRS would be able to work with out a map to get some cordinates. And he say he thinks mortars will be ok but how will he be able to aim at a target out of sight with out a map to fix a direction and maybe cordinates to try getting close to a target. Well enough said

Find the custom mission called 'raining ####'. Your a spotter for arty and you have to call in single shots and adjust through the map with incrimenting coordinates. Nothing beats the feeling when your marker falls right in the middle of the target and calling 'fire for effect'

COLINMAN

I've got some details on the mission now. I found it at www.flashpointarena.com

In the mission you have the radio (the radio in the map screen) that has a line at the bottom with the map coordinates x:Bc.05 Y:65.15 H:30 Then you can increase or decrease the coordinates by the 0.01 decimal points to zero in. Now if you are playing on veteran you don' t have any magical way knowing excatly where the target is. You have to use the map, your compass and figure out where it is exactly.

Now you sent the target to the artillary and you request a single shot marker. Now on the radio you can ajust the target coordinates by stepping N, E, S, or W, request another marker until you've zero'd in the target, then request fire for effect and pound the area.

I have no experiance in srcripting for Flashpoint, but this seems to be very tight. Now I don't know how easy it would be to implement into other missions, or the guy who made this had to really tweak the map for it to work, but it seems to be what you all are asking for.

COLINMAN

Sounds nice but what we are talking about is hte vehicles / men that fires. Thats what we want so you can be the one that fires it smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Guest Scooby

Hardest part of modelling artillery would be modelling of artillerymen.

God... I wouldnt want to be man who has to do that...

And then people would complain how incapable to do other duties than operating artillery piece artilleryman unit would be.

u could make it self propelled arty. But id have to side with pete and say that mortars seem more better and fun

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from dkraver on 5:26 pm on Dec. 6, 2001

HEHE welll let him be angry what ever. Game is built on trying to be realistic and i dont think any kind of artillery be it mortars howitzer or MLRS would be able to work with out a map to get some cordinates. And he say he thinks mortars will be ok but how will he be able to aim at a target out of sight with out a map to fix a direction and maybe cordinates to try getting close to a target. Well enough said

<span id='postcolor'>

thats not what he meant with me going mental.......

im the mortar lover of the forums, i was a mortar soldier in the army.....and i posted a hundred times a ideal method of aiming that is near 100% realistic, and still simple enough.

the problem is that as soon i post that "idea" the thread dies and goes to sleep in the backpages...

im fighting my desire to explain it one more time.......GGGGGGGggggGGGGGggggGGAAaaaaaRRRGH!!

fine.

1: spotter, with the use of a map HE can find out the co-ords, no magic GPS, no computers...the skill of the player only, just as it is in the game NOW.

2: mortar team, same method for getting co-ord of the mortar positition.

......yawn....so boring.....this thread will die before it reaches its 2:nd page.....

now, spotter finds a target...and with his skills (that most/some of us have) he figures out the co-ords to the target.

this is really easy....but i wont explain it now.

he informs the mortar team of targe coords.

now...target is northwest of the mortar, mortar is aimed exactly to the north (0/360 degrees).

looking at the map the mortar guys (or the spotter) sees that the angle to target is -27 degrees.

they aim the mortar -27 degrees west...making it to be 360 - 27 = 333 degrees.

mortar points at target now...providing that the co-ords are correct...if not, well s**t happens..its a human error

distance, mortar team counts the distance to target with a simple liner....1250 meters.

they know that by the book 60 degrees fires a nade 1000 meters, 45 degrees fires it 1500 meters...so they set the mortar to 53 degree elevation that should have a range of nearly 1250 meters.

done..mortar aimed, fire once.

miss, change what needs to be changed.

fire again. hit, keep firing..

out of ammo, move to new spot or reload with a truck.

thats the short version.

Im with the 2nd 116th Field Artillery and Im a Artilleryman with the Civil War reenacments. All I have to say is that Arty would be GREAT! And That if the Island of Morton I think If you go the town of Durras. East of the town about a klick there is a house with a cannon in the front yard. Its non functioning but it's rendered. So would an fuctioining one be really that hard. The gun looks like one of the 105mm that my unit uses.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from supah on 12:50 pm on Dec. 6, 2001

Its an idea and ive seen footage from ww2 of ppl using flak cannons as AT guns. But do they still do that?

<span id='postcolor'>

The idea is good. I was a gunner on a Bofors L60 40mm. This cannon was originaly an anti aircraft gun from the great war (pretty old eh) but is still used all over the world against landing ships, lightly armoured vehicles and infantry.

(Edited by brgnorway at 4:10 am on Dec. 7, 2001)

And I want a three toed sloth in the next addon but its not guna happen!