Sign in to follow this  
Darkhorse 1-6

US Senate attempting to designate the entire world as a battlefield.

It is really sad to me, to see what is happening in the USA and how your country has changed over the last decades. Americans will be increasingly stripped from their rights completely. Even If someone would offer me a greencard and job, I would currently not want to live or work in the USA for being honest.

We're coming closer and closer to being Britain... assuming this passes, which I highly doubt. Any idiot knows that it's illegal to deploy the military within the United States-- how does this bill get around it?

As all the other bills did since the Bush administration took charge. I think that most Americans are not aware how many bills (laws) have been changed for the worse in the last 8 years.

Lol don't believe the hype..... there is much hocus pocus in the ACLU article and whoever wrote it has not read the draft bill. Or did read it and chose to publish false information because it doesn't square with their general philosophy and beliefs.

S. 1867 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) .pdf

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CFQQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gpo.gov%2Ffdsys%2Fpkg%2FBILLS-112s1867pcs%2Fpdf%2FBILLS-112s1867pcs.pdf&ei=4u_OTt6JCIWtgQf8n8XMDQ&usg=AFQjCNGnu8a63PkbLr6qgYO2Kmma3w6soA

Always read the thing yourself before making a judgement - the relevant sections are 1031 and 1032 starting at page 359. The ACLU would have you believe that this law relates to US citizens in general - that is untrue. It's interesting to note that they do not include a link to the text of the bill so you can read it for yourself.

Subtitle D—Detainee Matters SEC. 1031. AFFIRMATION OF AUTHORITY OF THE ARMED FORCES OF THE UNITED STATES TO DETAIN COVERED PERSONS PURSUANT TO THE AUTHORIZATION FOR USE OF MILITARY FORCE.

COVERED PERSONS.—A covered person under this section is any person as follows:

(1) A person who planned, authorized, committed, or aided the terrorist attacks that occurred on September 11, 2001, or harbored those responsible for those attacks.

(2) A person who was a part of or substantially supported al-Qaeda, the Taliban, or associated forces that are engaged in hostilities against the United States or its coalition partners, including any person who has committed a belligerent act or has directly supported such hostilities in aid of such enemy forces.

Further, it goes on in Sec 1032 to explicitly say that this law does not extend to US Citizens or Lawfully Resident Immigrants (Aliens).

The Obama Administration are against it because it clashes with an existing set of legal measures. Reasoning here .pdf:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/omb/legislative/sap/112/saps1867s_20111117.pdf

I think Obama is opposed to it because in Sec. 1032 it states that once enacted he has 60 days to present to congress procedures to implement this law. That drops him in the shit because he will be responsible for the way this is enforced and any resulting messy consequences should things not go as planned.

Not sure if it is good law or bad but the reporting of it is more than a little misleading. The Armed Services Committee responsible is headed by Democrat Senator, Carl Levin (D-Mich.) and this section of the bill was drafted by Levin and Rep Senator John McCain (R-Ariz.) outside of committee session.

Edited by PELHAM

The US politics thread was locked by a moderator, this means no US politics discussion anywhere.