Sign in to follow this  
bravo93

Error when importing mask and terrain

Basically, i've managed to import a XYZ file into visitor 3 with my terrain heights on but when I try to import mask and satellite images I get this error message below.

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k541/codfatherex/errormessage.png

What does this mean and how can I import my mask and satellite images?

Thanks in advance.

To me, it seems that you are using a map so huge that Vis3 can't handle it nor even load it...

If it's not the case, you could try to convert that XYZ to some other format and/or then go for visitor as a png image.

For this purpose, you can use Wilbur which open a nice list of formats, including some standards just like BT (binary terrain) files... if you succeed at this, then you may save your map as a PNG surface (16 bits) and then you can open terrain in vis3... to do this load visitor3 -> open and then move the diplaying files list to pbl (I guess this stands for powerbuilder file format)... This pbl thing is just a text file looking like this (you can copy&paste the blue text and save it as "terrain.pbl" file and then you have a template):

[b][color="Blue"]class cfg
{
PNGfilename="terrain.png";[/color][/b] // here you name "terrain" or whatever your png image file is named, both files, png and pbl, usually are inside terrain folder inside your source folder at p: drive... you know... or should
[b][color="Blue"]squareSize=4;[/color][/b] // this is the size of your grid, usually is 10 = 10 meters per pixel
[b][color="Blue"]originX=0;[/color][/b] // leave this as is till you know how it works, it will display map starting from left border
[b][color="Blue"]originY=0;[/color][/b] // same as above in the Y axis
[b][color="Blue"]minHeight=-3;[/color][/b] // if this value is under 0 you will see water... in this example 3 meters depth maximum
[b][color="Blue"]maxHeight=8;[/color][/b] // as it says this tells how high will be the highest part of terrain
[b][color="Blue"]};[/color][/b]

Usually, if you are using XYZ you should know which are your max and min values for your terrain, but if you are not sure, in Wilbur you can go to Surface -> Map Info in case you loaded some BT file or any of those that contain this kind of info...

If you have your min and max values right but Wilbur doesn't display terrain as it is, you should go to Filter -> Mathematical -> Span and enter your min and max values, so Wilbur can know where might be water and so...

Doing like this you may even use these surfaces to get a mask, well, but that's another story...

Hope this helps, Saludines !!!

EDIT: And don't forget to always use a power of two square size image as png file ... e.g.: 256x256, 512x512, 1024x1024, 2048x2048, and 4096x4096 as max value

EDIT2: This is your very first post!!! Lero lero! Pajarito nuevo!!! :D

Edited by Robster

What if you don't load an xyz file and just use the default new project terrain to load up the satellite map? Does that give you an error?

Other things that could be wrong are you Project Parameters. Make sure those all check out and that the calculations using the calculator come out as desired. Image may not be the right size. Image may not be the correct bit-depth. I think it is either 32 or 24 that is required. Maybe your terrain cells have something to do with it too. I don't know.

Additionally, the more details/specifics you can give us the better.

Edited by Jakerod

My island is 10240x10240 (100km²) and I can see it in bulldozer fine so I don't think size is an issue but i'll try and import a PNG instead of xyz and try again.