Sign in to follow this  
UUMickey

Frequent crashing

Hi, folks. I've been working through the training missions, but the game keeps crashing to a black screen. Audio continues to play, but the display is black. I'm running Windows 7 Professional x32 with an Nvidia GTX285 running the latest drivers.

I ran through the video settings tutorial in the forum, made sure my view distance was around 7000 and set most things to Normal. Nothing really useful in the event logs, only that the nvidia display driver stopped responding and then recovered.

Not sure what the problem might be or even where to look for more details or the proper way to report it.

Any thoughts?

Mick

Memory issues... Ive had them in the past. when that happens click left shift and numpad minus key. then type F L U S H .... that will flush the memory and then u will be on ur way again.

you say you ran through the video settings tutorial, but I wonder about your video memory setting in Video Options.

Default works well for most, High for others.

Have you tried that change?

Interesting as I see the same issue, with same symptoms once or twice a game using the GTX260, Win7 32bit. The game is happily running even though the display has stopped, you can even exit cleanly and save your game so you don't loose any progress!

I've run in windowed mode and when it goes black I see a windows pop-up saying the NVidia display driver crashed and recovered. I wonder why, it doesn't happen predictably or at any obvious trigger.

I've run in windowed mode and when it goes black I see a windows pop-up saying the NVidia display driver crashed and recovered. I wonder why, it doesn't happen predictably or at any obvious trigger.

Set your video memory in setting to "Default" or try other values.

Those CTD are related to bad/(too optimistic) videomemory settings.

UUMickey I have same windows and GPU. This happens with me in Arma and TOH. Ive tried different video settings (Default) and the others. It still happens every once inawhile. I just deal with it and do the shift (numpad) minus f l u s h...... In that order and it flushes memory and everything will be fine for a couple hours. Even if you get kicked to desktop you can still type and it will work.

for my black screen crashes the Flush command doesnt work, screen goes black. falls to desktop with no way to switch back to it. but it still runs sound and some ingame commands.

gtx280, w7 3g ram.

This solution worked for me, thank you everyone.

One thing I noted, in the video settings tutorial, was the reference to a GTX 4xx series card with 4Gb of memory. I can't find such a beast anywhere :)

Mick