Sign in to follow this  
danbrown1888

Change Field of View?

I'm probably missing it somewhere but I can't seem to find a way to expand the default field of view...its like looking at the world through a straw. I found one key that I can hold down which zooms out the FOV just a hair but only until it is released. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

-Ziggy-;2045943']dbl tap that key thats zooms out' date=' it should toggle. dbl tap again to release.[/quote']

The only problem there is that the FOV change is very slight. I'm thinking a feature along the lines of FSX where you can zoom the cockpit view out to .30 and actually get a realistic field of view.

Did you try pressing (or double tapping) the numpad minus (-) key? I used that for arma, might work for TKOH as well?

EDIT: on second thought, I think that has just been suggested by Ziggy :o

Yes, I can give that a try but as I mentioned that only increases the FOV by a very small amount. I'm looking for something similar to how far back you can zoom in FSX so you can actually see the whole horizon.

Change this:

fovTop=0.75;

fovLeft=1.3333334;

in the ***.TakeOnHProfile in your Documents\Take on Helicopters Other Profiles\XXX folder

The only problem there is that the FOV change is very slight. I'm thinking a feature along the lines of FSX where you can zoom the cockpit view out to .30 and actually get a realistic field of view.

0.30 realistic? :D On my setup around 1.4-1.5 provides the realistic field of view, unfortunately that is for obvious reasons not very comforting in a virtual cockpit environment. 0.30 may be more comfortable, but it has nothing to do with realism since perspective will be twisted madly.

Guess the sad fact is that in virtual piloting with screen based cockpit, realistic field of view simply cannot be achieved.

Oh, and take a backup of the file before starting to tweak the FOV values. I managed to completely mangle mine in Arma to the point I couldn't restore normal values.

Ok, I guess realistic isn't quite the right word. I find that when zoomed all the way out in FSX it approximates the fov you'd have if you include peripheral vision which of course can't accurately be modeled (yet). Really the only way to approximate flight for me is to have the option to zoom in out in the same way you focus your attention on either the cockpit or horizon in real life.

---------- Post added at 07:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 PM ----------

Ok, I just checked and I had already made that change a few days ago. I don't see any difference in the FOV. I remember something about keeping the ratio between these two values the same. If I wanted to go wider what would be a safe value to try next?

---------- Post added at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 PM ----------

Ok, nailed it. Here is what I've got set that allows for a much nicer FOV:

fovTop=1.125;

fovLeft=2;

Now I can see my own legs and a nice distance across the horizon so its not necessary to move the view around so much. Thanks to everyone for the assist!