Sign in to follow this  
DualJoe

Grebbeberg - WIP terrain

USB issue is resolved! I don't know how he did it, but my brother in law found a microsoft support post detailing the removal of two lines in a very obscure windows registry number. So obscure that even the search in regedit could not find it. Anyway I've regained access to the Bistudio tools now so I can finally try to finish some buildings.

"Unfortunately" I've already ordered an AMD-7950 videocard for use in my new windows-virtual machine which should arrive any day now. The combination of being separated from games plus the arrival of this new toy, might result in some ... errr ... delays :whistle:.

Good to hear that. And have lots of fun with your new toy! Any new changes to the map lately that can be tested?

In short, depending on how exhausted I am after this friday, I'll try to get a bit of work done this weekend. As soon as I've got something ready for texturing, you'll be the first to know.

Apart from that, I haven't had the time or the energy to work on this as much as I would have liked. My eye problem really came at a bad time. On top of that a couple of people I was depending on in real life have left me with such a mess as a holiday present, that I'm starting to doubt if I'll ever be able to fix it (which I'm expecting to find out this friday). But before all that, I'm waiting for my new card and then I'm reinstalling my pc for a fresh start. After some serious crashes while trying to get usb running again, I'm not feeling confident about my current windows installation at all. Certainly not enough to entrust it with hours of work.

In short, depending on how exhausted I am after this friday, I'll try to get a bit of work done this weekend. As soon as I've got something ready for texturing, you'll be the first to know.

Apart from that, I haven't had the time or the energy to work on this as much as I would have liked. My eye problem really came at a bad time. On top of that a couple of people I was depending on in real life have left me with such a mess as a holiday present, that I'm starting to doubt if I'll ever be able to fix it (which I'm expecting to find out this friday). But before all that, I'm waiting for my new card and then I'm reinstalling my pc for a fresh start. After some serious crashes while trying to get usb running again, I'm not feeling confident about my current windows installation at all. Certainly not enough to entrust it with hours of work.

I always like to backup my files on multiple drives (external as well). Good luck fixing you computer and other things. Hope it all works out and good luck with the project. Been following this thread for a while now.

Apart from being occupied with other things, I ran into more trouble than I was expecting with my new setup. However after a lot of trial and mostly error I've finally managed to get VGA-passthrough running reliably in two different virtual machines. Now I can run linux and windows side by side on the same machine with full 3d accelleration. This should speed up my workflow immensily, because I no longer need to reboot for every little change/mistake. I also don't have to worry about windows destroying my system anymore. Add to this that back-up and restoring windows should be a much easier process. From time to time I can just save the entire windows virtual-machine to a single compressed file on an usb-disk. Hopefully meaning I no longer need to go through the usual lengthy reinstall of windows and all things arma, should windows die on me again.

Apparently I had forgotten to backup my install files, so it will take a while to download and setup Arma2CO and TakeOn plus other bistudio products and tools. As soon as things quiet down a bit in real life and I don't get too swamped with my many other projects, I'll be picking this one back up.

Bit off topic, but I have to express my astonishment about the performance of arma2co with windows 7 on XEN. Granted my new AMD 7950 is a faster card than the GTX560TI, but apart from the better graphics I was expecting at least a little hit on the cpu-heavy stuff. Especially since windows was running on 8 overclocked cores before and now only 4 cores at stock frequencies. Not only am I now able to crank up most settings to the max in arma2, but I can now also run more cpu taxing mods and missions withouth the same effect on framerates I was seeing before. I'm seeing 100%gpu load and cpu-power to spare on the 4 virtual-cores I've given the VM.

Too bad NVIDIA-drivers don't work well on XEN. Nvidia drivers only support virtualmachines on their very pricy Quadro range. There are workarounds, but at the moment I don't feel like trying them. Which means that for the moment, I'll be running KVM most of the time, eventhough KVM-qemu seems to have nowhere near the same performance of XEN on my system. For me both have their own set of uses and advantages and I'm glad I went the extra mile to get the two of them running reliably. I can do so much more now with my single pc, that I'm having trouble getting to grips with all the new possibilities.

Edited by DualJoe