Sign in to follow this  
.Taffy

Can I use steering wheel pedals to control yaw?

I've been having trouble controlling helicopters in game due to the very basic joystick I had to buy when my old one went caput. The old one had incremental control for the yaw with a twisitng stick and also buttons.

The new one I had to settle for is a Logitech Attack 3, which is ok but for yaw you have to use simple buttons so it's full on or full off.

I've been thinking about getting a wheel (for use in a multitude of games) and was wondering if it was possible to map the pedals to control the yaw, with the pressure applied dictating the amount of yaw?

Has anyone tried this? Or at least know if it should work. If it does, can anyone recommend a cheapish steering wheel that'll do the job.

I doubt it would work as the wheel is only 1 axis. The pedals could be another axis but you would still be missing one.

So the game would recognize both the accellerator and the break as the same axis direction? It probably wouldn't be possible to get it to recognize the left pedal as controlling left yaw and right pedal as right?

It works very well, and adds alot to the overall feeling!

I´ve only found one small nuisance with the community preview, as described here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=121566

Though i´ve been told that this is not a problem with win7 (i used XP), and maybe it´s even got fixed or flattened out a bit in the release version.

So go right ahead, you´re missing out on lots of fun :D

That's great news, thanks Mr Burns!

What wheel model are you using?

A Logitech Formula Force GP, the red one, great value for little money .. they don´t build it anymore :mad:

No, good build quality for little money is a rare thing these days. A shame. I'll shop around and look for deals and good reviews.

I'm also using pedals to control the yaw, mine is from a "Thrustmaster Force Feedback Wheel".

Just to be clear, when a product description says "Progressive Pedal (Assembly)" it means that the pedals provide a varied response dependant on the pressure you apply right?

Yeah, all pedals should be like that. Otherwise it's kinda pointless having them. No worries.

Button definatley, a genuine nice guy. Shame BBC and Sky have conived to ruin next year's season for millions of Brits. My full thoughts here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=123073 :D

Back on topic - I'm glad this pedal solution works, dedicated rudder pedals are ridiculously expensive.

The only downside to it is that you have to keep your wheel plugged in on the floor. But since i play alot of F1 2010/2011 aswell it's just a bonus that it works for both those games and this.

That's not so bad really, I plan to use that for driving in Arma too, which atm just isn't as satisfying as it was in OFP. So having it nearby will be useful.

Yeah, pedals are really nice. I recently bought the CH Pro pedals second hand and it's really a new challenge controlling a virtual helicopter when extra limbs need to be coordinated. Really adds to the immersion too.

Enjoy :)

Proper rudder pedals, nice! Never understood why they were so expensive, or at least why there aren't more affordable models on the market. What other flight peripherals do you have?

What other flight peripherals do you have?

I use the Saitek X52 Pro and FreeTrack (but headtracker is temporarily broken though).