Sign in to follow this  
xr6turbo

Low performance after HDMI cable instead of DVI

Hello all,

Last friday i decided to buy a HMDI cable for my computer and replace it for the DVI cable connection. However im expierencing really low performance with the HDMI cable when playing arma2 combined ops. I had to go back from "high performance" to medium performance and still it's laggy and to play on medium quality i didnt buy this system and a HDMI cable. Is this really all because of the HDMI cable instead of using a DVI cable :S

System:

I5 750 @ 2.6 ghz

4gb ram

ATI HD6950 2gb

Hopefully somebody has a solution or expierenced the same.

This "low performance" you are experiencing - can you describe it? Is it purely subjective or have you measured frame rates? How pronounced is it?

Does the problem exclusively affect Arma2? What other games have you tried?

This "low performance" you are experiencing - can you describe it? Is it purely subjective or have you measured frame rates? How pronounced is it?

Does the problem exclusively affect Arma2? What other games have you tried?

I tried shogun total 2 and counter strike source, and im not expierencing any problems with these games. They maybe dont take so much power from my system as arma 2, but shogun total war on high also takes a lot of performance and doesnt lag.

With low performance i mean: Stuttering/lagging when for example flying low with a airplane on chernarus and even Utes i cant even play anymore on high without stuttering. Its quite sad the performance im expieriencing now :S Also playing with more then 5 units on any map causes lag.

Currently im at my work, so i cant check the fps.

Okay, that's very weird, since Arma2 shouldn't be affected at all by that kind of thing I thought it could be a problem with the cable (as unlikely as that may seem, considering the symptoms).

I assume switching back to the DVI cable improves the performance again? Did you try that?

Did you change the monitor oder resolution aswell?

I experienced such lags only with a new monitor and resolution.

Is your monitor old and had the HDMI-Slot as a feature (thus was shipped with DVI-cable)? Sometimes upscaling/downscaling of video-output (calculated by graphicscard) because of old monitors/drivers can cause those problems.

Try updating your monitor-driver, maybe..

I will try tonight switching back again; and will note down the fps difference. What i did try was using a 1.3 HDMI cable and a 1.4 HDMI cable hoewever no difference. ( the're also almost similair, so it couldnt be this anyway )

Will post tonight the results

Did you change the monitor oder resolution aswell?

I experienced such lags only with a new monitor and resolution.

Is your monitor old and had the HDMI-Slot as a feature (thus was shipped with DVI-cable)? Sometimes upscaling/downscaling of video-output (calculated by graphicscard) because of old monitors/drivers can cause those problems.

Try updating your monitor-driver, maybe..

I never tried up/downscaling resolutions nor did i try updating my monitor. My vid card is up2date due to autoatic updating. I will try doing so tonight and check the max supported resolution as HDMI probably takes more than dvi.

I'm assuming at this point that you're using a 17-24" TFT. Or is it larger? DVI is usually more than enough for 1080p gaming, and it's physically impossible to scale a TFT higher than its maximum resolution. ;)

So unless it was running at 720p before without you knowing, I don't think resolution is the issue here.

I'm assuming at this point that you're using a 17-24" TFT. Or is it larger? DVI is usually more than enough for 1080p gaming, and it's physically impossible to scale a TFT higher than its maximum resolution. ;)

So unless it was running at 720p before without you knowing, I don't think resolution is the issue here.

Its a LCD 22" F-22 acer

example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009156

So according to you it wouldnt make a difference ?

So according to you it wouldnt make a difference ?

It really shouldn't, no.

From the games "perspective", the physical connection between your graphics card and monitor makes no difference at all. All that counts are resolution, refresh rate and vsync. If you had bought a whole new monitor that allowed a higher resolution, I would have been less surprised about a slight performance decrease. (Although, as you say, it's not slight at all.)

Switching cables should normally only affect visual quality, if anything. Not performance. Your situation is a very weird one indeed. :)

Chernarus:

In front of the airplane: 60fps

Inside the airplane: 60 fps

flying low with a speed of 750kmph: 50-60

Infantry battle with 30 vs 30 in editor: 28 average

I think the problem was that arma used 1 or 2 cores of my processor. I selected use 4 cores in the game launcher and im getting these values.

So the problem was arma suddenly using half my cores and causing lag instead of the HDMI cable. However it remains strange, that my HDMI cable can change it...