Sign in to follow this  
nosovdn

Replays

1. I need the replay feature. Like in DCS.

2. I need an export to MP4 feature (for Youtube export).

@nosovdn

yes, would be nice. There is a lack of this since release of OFP. Something similar to IL2 Sturmovik or Wings of Prey or Racinggames etcpp.

My only recollection of the DCS replay function in A10 was it was broken recording things that never took place unless it was just your aircraft in the world space, campaign flight replays would normally go awry after the 15min mark with all sorts of strange stuff happening, with the IL2 CoD the render to mp4 function was broke though the txt file based replays did work.

I would much prefer output to a txt based file which could be replayed, so you could avoid e.g. fraps from running while you’re playing but could ultimately replay the flight from the same and other camera positions or one “.trk†file could be replayed by someone else in their TKoH game.

Except education. We don't need none of that.

Education aree needed - not for aces, but for newbies.

Education aree needed - not for aces, but for newbies.

That comment wasn't meant to be taken seriously. ;)

The problem with this in a 'dynamic' world like ToH is that it's very difficult to ensure that the simulation plays out the same way during the replay. You can't just start things off with the same initial conditions and hope that it all works out the same as when you played it - much of the simuation may depend subtly on frame-rate or uncontrolled input such as free-running scripts. So... the only sensible approach is to record the entire state of the world at periodic intervals and put the engine in a mode where it's simply moving objects around dumbly (as well as doing other stuff like replaying the weather, cloud-formations, etc and doing small-scale simulations like particle effects for explosions).

BIA do something a bit like this for VBS2 with their "After-Action Replay" system but this is aimed at analysis and I've know idea whether it allows you to use a 'virtual camera' to view the replay with visual fidelity.

Some of the missions in ArmA2 also use a similar approach for cutscenes where they playback the pre-captured track of a vehicle such as a helicopter. (Off the top of my head I can't remember the name of the command to do this).

Anyway, all of which is to say that this is not necessarily as straightforward as you might think! Nevertheless, I'd really like it, even if it wasn't perfect.

Many games have replay function. DCS series have it too.

Replay is the way to share the experience: education, helicopters potential, tricks and so on. I'm sure, the game wil be good. But replay can do it better ;)

everyone has another opinion what would be an important feature and what not. My opinion: it would be a very important feature. Il2 has a lot of ai and complex flightmodel....and it has replay...its nice to see the own tactics and the own battle like a film...

everyone has another opinion what would be an important feature and what not. My opinion: it would be a very important feature. Il2 has a lot of ai and complex flightmodel....and it has replay...its nice to see the own tactics and the own battle like a film...

Exactly! I like to watch replays on Youtube. The export to youtube will be the best, but the simple replay will be good too.