Sign in to follow this  
BullyBoii

What hardware and Software features can we expect

Hi guys,

I was poking round for a bit of information on what the Arma 3 engine will utilize in terms of hardware. This is important because almost everyone will need to upgrade a part of their system to run Arma 3, some more than others :icon_neutral:

1. Will Arma 3 support hyperthreading - this is a big question because I wondering whether to buy an i7 2600 or an AMD Phenom x6

2. Will Arma 3 require a large amount of VRAM or is it like Crysis which just requires a generally powerfull card

3. Will Arma 3 be available on Steam - just wondering, it has no importance to me whether i have to buy it or download it.

If any of the devs read this, could you please verify this, or if anyone truly knows the answer to these questions could you also take a minute (or less) to reply

Thank you

Bully

1. Will most likely NOT support HT. That said, the i7 2600 performs much better than the AMD Phenom X6 in games, and in A2 in particular. If i were you, i would wait for the 8 core Bulldozers (no HT there, 8 real cores).

2. Unless A3 goes 64 bit (which is very unlikely), A3 will use up to 3.2GB and not more. A powerfull GFX card is a must in todays gaming world. If you ask me, grab an Nvidia with a lot of Vram- read 1.5-2GB (texture size in BIS games has always been pretty high) for A3.

3. According to Dwarden, there is no reason for A3 not to be available on Steam at game launch.

Ok, thanks very much,

do you by any chance know when these new CPU's are going to be avialable and at what price range they are going to be around, anything more than £250 for one component is getting a bit silly i mean £800 for one CPU is extreme (990X)

Planned release date is mid september. Performance and price should be somewhat near to a i7 2600 although this is neither confirmed nor official.

So far it seems that the Bulldozer architecture is consuming more power than a comparable i7 (higher Vcore and TDP) so from that POV a i7 would probably the better choice (and i am a AMD Fanboy).

Myke;2009268']Planned release date is mid september. Performance and price should be somewhat near to a i7 2600 although this is neither confirmed nor official.

So far it seems that the Bulldozer architecture is consuming more power than a comparable i7 (higher Vcore and TDP) so from that POV a i7 would probably the better choice (and i am a AMD Fanboy).

For me power is not a concern, i run a fairly low end graphics card GTX 460 with a 500W PSU so i have run for power consumption i know the i7 runs at 95W MAX so if the power output is only slightly higher im guessing it will be around the 125-150W mark which is fine for me.

Imagine if that processor hard HT, 16 threads! but anyways, i dont think AMD can do this and still outclass intel on price

Bulldozer will not have HT. In the end the AMD 8 core processor is suppose to stand against the i7 4 core (8 threads). It is just a different approach.

Bulldozer will sortof be a quad with hyperthreading, only there's much more of the cores that's double than with hypertheading so it's really close to an actual 8 core.

Arma 2 doesnt like hyperthreading, and is configured not to use it, if it does the game gets choppy. Arma 3 will not come out for a year and bulldozers arent released yet either so one can only speculate.