Sign in to follow this  
beno_83au

Large city?

Does anyone know if someone has made a city, or something bigger than the ones in OFP? I think there was a mod based around one but they stopped working on it (I think, I don't know).

So far they have been doomed to severe lag. There have been impressive screen pics in the past but no practical maps ever came out of them.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

try the editor add-ons at ofp.cz i think i saw some towns there

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (vulcan @ May 30 2002,17:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">try the editor add-ons at ofp.cz<span id='postcolor'>

That would be their EDITOR EXTRA page.

Yes, some things are there. If you use anything big, let us know how it handles in testing.

I'll check them out now, thanks.

i added about 520 houses on desert island once. it was ok for me to move around alone, but when i added 16 AIs in, it lagged like hell...don't wanna know what will happens when it's on MP.

Resistance has some larger cities, but they seem to be mostly big due to wide distance btw buildings that are big.

Here's my town

forgot to mention its in german, probably have to have a pretty good computer too, looks like a good size town.

but i just saw the picture of the town, so i dont know.

might be a step in the right direction.

spidey

Avon Lady, there was a map/addon at ofp.cz that was a bombed out ww2 city that ran along a road for a good length but it is fairly thin and when I tested the map it ran ok, a bit slow when I had 9 v's 9. I'm running P3 733mhz 128ram.

And spiderman, I downloaded that map and installed it and when I tried to play it OFP closed and said no entry config vehicles tree 7 but the only addon that came with the d/l was the editor upgrade 102 so I don't know what the go is there.

Guest Titanium

Preferable, you dont want addons in maps. So heres what i use to add buildings. Hard to make an actualy "town" because it wont let you add roads cause it doesnt have the name for it. But this servers its purpose.

http://membres.lycos.fr/rainbow6rs/TutoBatsEngl.htm

let me fiddle with it there beno, i just translated the text on the page with the jpeg of the city and heres what it said:

The file "Montignac City.Eden" in \Users\DeinName\missions the listing unpack. The EditorUpgrade102 in the Addon file unpack. Montignac was extended by some houses and roads. In addition there is destroyed quarter.

so im gonna mess around with it and see if i cant get her to work. ill write back with more info later.

spidey

Good on ya spiderman, hope you get somewhere with it. Titanium, that page looks interesting, i'll have to give it a go. Thanks.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ May 30 2002,08:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So far they have been doomed to severe lag. There have been impressive screen pics in the past but no practical maps ever came out of them.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.<span id='postcolor'>

Yup. That's like on my "Blackhawk Down" mission. Even on my 1.33ghz PC with 256 megs (and 32meg TNT2 card) the mission slows down badly because I tried to simulate "Mogadishu" and it didn't work so hot. It's playable on a fast computer but not on 80% of people's computers. sad.gif

I wish BIS would release some tips on how to make large cities with optimum framerates and reduced lag. Like which buildings have the least amount of polygons. Also perhaps maybe a city block could be a single object kind of like the forests in OFP. That might increase the framerate and reduce lag considerably.

You guys with Oxygen should experiment with this. That should be a simple and easy project compared to making vehicles. Just make the city blocks simple without too many polygons. The buildings that can be entered should be seperate objects. It would be nice to see for example huge skyscrapers..just big stretched boxes textured to look like skyscrapers. But right now I'd just like to see some Middle-Eastern style mud-brick houses and sheds with a few 2-3 story buildings thrown in here and there (shops and stuff) to simulate a town in the Middle East but large enough (with a few house that could be entered) to simulate some good urban combat.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Miles Teg @ June 04 2002,17:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I wish BIS would release some tips on how to make large cities with optimum framerates and reduced lag.<span id='postcolor'>

Here's the tip:

Big cities have to be incorporated into world (WRP) files, i.e., into the islands themselves. When defined dynamically through missions, that's where the lag is the worst.

So what we need someone to do is to create a big city island and such missions would take place on that island addon.

I don't know of anyone who's done this yet.

Oh, and MaxRes, Miles! Advice: put a link to your mission page in your sig. smile.gif

iv made a main street of a city if any one wants it just give me your email.all u need is the editors addon by gunslinger and thats it i think.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ June 04 2002,16:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Miles Teg @ June 04 2002,17:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I wish BIS would release some tips on how to make large cities with optimum framerates and reduced lag.<span id='postcolor'>

Here's the tip:

Big cities have to be incorporated into world (WRP) files, i.e., into the islands themselves. When defined dynamically through missions, that's where the lag is the worst.

So what we need someone to do is to create a big city island and such missions would take place on that island addon.

I don't know of anyone who's done this yet.

Oh, and MaxRes, Miles! Advice: put a link to your mission page in your sig. smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah you're right. That would be cool if somene did that and made a nice big modern city or 3rd world city like Mogadishu. Wasn't some Russian MOD team working on an island editor. I keep seeing pictures of new islands and little bits about some kind of island editor, but still no new islands. Is there an editor out yet?

Yeah I know I need to work on a sig. smile.gif Hehehe!

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>