Sign in to follow this  
domcho

How do you aim correctly with the A10's GAU-8

Hello everyone. For the past 2 hours I've been flying with A10 shooting T-72s and T-90s with the GAU-8 and I didn't do much. I want to know how can I lock on the target because it is really hard to shoot correctly. It's driving me crazy. I increased mouse smoothing to max and lowered the X and Y axis of the mouse on like 25%. Didn't help much. BI really made shooting correctly with plane's machine guns and rockets really hard I barely hit anything. I decrease speed but it doesn't help I either have to pull up or keep moving the mouse until the crosshair is where it should be and then crash :butbut: I noticed holding down both the buttons for the rudders makes the plane steady I think, but it did not help. I simply can't aim at the target. It's not fun to use the mavericks and the sidewinders it's too easy with them and it's a lot more fun to tank bust with the GAU-8 :yay:. It's not only with the plane's machine gun, I can't hit anything with the hydra missiles or the S-8 rockets on the Su-25. Can you tell me what should I do with controls options or what to press while flying so I keep the aim is steady! Thank you! :yay:

First of all I always have mouse smoothing completely OFF. Then I turn mouse sensitivity down (I have a G5 refresh so its really easy with 5 sensitivity settings to choose from on the fly) I usually line the targets up about 1500-3000m away so I have enough time to make corrections if the tanks move or my aiming is a bit off. I fly at about 250-300kph. You can lock on the target by pressing TAB but usually I don't use it.

you cant lock on, you just have to aim better. If you want to make aiming easier pass over the target, wait 5 secs, make a half loop roll until you're straight and hit the airbrake to go really slowly.

you can "lock" on in the sense that you get a square box on the target and if you lined it up you get a circle over the box so you know when to fire.

Edited by Derbysieger

you cant lock on, you just have to aim better. If you want to make aiming easier pass over the target, wait 5 secs, make a half loop roll until you're straight and hit the airbrake to go really slowly.

I don't understand what you mean :confused:

He means fly past your target so you see where it is, turn around and fly back over it slowly.

Be prepared to throw your chafe/flares in a heart beat, because you'll be having a rocket right up your six in a heart beat.

Be prepared to throw your chafe/flares in a heart beat, because you'll be having a rocket right up your six in a heart beat.

I didn't know ArmA 2 has flares I though only in Operation Arrowhead you have. How do you drop flares?:eek:

I didn't know ArmA 2 has flares I though only in Operation Arrowhead you have. How do you drop flares?:eek:

I believe with "R", not a 100% sure.

You didn't said you have "only ArmA 2 and you're right, countermeasures were introduced with Operation Arrowhead..one reason more to get it. ;)