Sign in to follow this  
amos m

Something bis needs to implement in ofp

OK. I was looking at that post about "america's army", and yeah I did have a bit of a rant (fucking hack looking game. y all the stink?). but it does have one good thing that BIS could pinch. Hand guestures.

If ofp had hand guestures it would add a little more realism to the game, and it would help to keep groups together and working as a team in mp (seriously, mp is not only the future of gamin, but it is the present. Sp is just for practice, and sometimes for nigels......like me). You would know who is the commander all teh time. It would have other advantages, but my brains not working atm.

What do ya reckon?

AFAIK, OPF does have hand gestures.

But just like StrokeFist and StrokeGun, you have to manually activate them through scripts or initialization lines.

If someone could pull up the list of hand gestures in OPF, that would be great.

Guest Titanium

I am assuming that you mean ones that inforteammtes.  That allows you not to have to type then.  Incase you didnt notice, even with top of the line grafix, high ram.  Sorta like how I have, you wouldn't be able to tell what the hell he is doing with his hands after you are about oooo, 5m away.

If you still do not wish to type.  You have a few alterntatives.  Buy a mic.  They sell them at wal-mart for about 15-20$.  Thats where I got mine from and how much it costs.  Then plug it in.  And then either use VON (Voice Over Net) which is the voice program that comes with OFP.  Or get third party voice programs.  One of the most popular is Roger Wilco (More commonly refered to as "RW").  Its free, but they ask you to register and pay for crap (Greedy bastards!wink.gif.  But you don't have to pay anything anyway.  Then find out the RW channel.  Join it and waaalaaa.  No more typing for you.  (Of course not everyone has RW.  So VON is nice.)

Hand gestures have never imo been done better than in the first 1st person squad war game ever made called "Seal Team" by Electronic Arts.

That gave a really good feeling of really being there. It would be great to have something similar in OFP.

Hand gestures would be awesome... nothing like giving your oppenents the finger... erm.. err.. wrong hand gestures, sorry.

Yeah, Jaeger, Seal Team was fantastic. The graphics are majorly dated, now, but there was nothing like it when it came out. Really, it had to be the first first person tactical shooter... predates R6 by a long shot.

I can't see the usefulness of hand gestures in OFP when you usually are 30+ meters from your next teammate.

And when things happends really fast (like it usually do in OFP) you won't have time to use it. confused.gif

I prefer using voice-over-net with 'direct speech'. That way I can sit and shout to my buddies when they are more than 10 meters away when playing mp biggrin.gif

Guest Titanium

hand Gestures wouldnt work. player fingers are stubby, you wouldnt be able to see them when you are more than 10m away. maybe less. and VON/RW/Other 3rdpart equpment is so much easier for communication. Plus, hand gestures make more things for newbies to learn. which is bad.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Titanium @ May 31 2002,23:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">hand Gestures wouldnt work.  player fingers are stubby, you wouldnt be able to see them when you are more than 10m away. maybe less.  and VON/RW/Other 3rdpart equpment is so much easier for communication.  Plus, hand gestures make more things for newbies to learn.  which is bad.<span id='postcolor'>

Because most newbies have enough problems figuring out the difference between East & West uniforms. Hell, alot of experienced players still dont know the difference...

Guest Titanium

tru dat Tex

As stated above...hand gesture animations are already available...they are as follows:

CommandEngageAtWill

CommandFireAtWill

CommandFormation

CommandForward

CommandHoldFire

CommandStop

there is no script yet that I know of which uses these and they arent available from the core game interface. It IS possible to script them into a mission...I dont know if it would be worthwhile or not, but they are available for scripting use.

Wow. I didn't know this. Cool. Thanx.

What I was actually thinking in my original post was that you could have your normal commands, or on stealth missions in particular you could be silent and then some of the normal commands would become hand guestures.

This would be a lot more useful if the game played player voice sounds, and voice over net, in the same way in which it does dynamic sound, if you know what i mean. ie. all sounds could be heard, but only if you're close enough to hear them. That would make silence necessary sometimes.

Another factor which would make this useful is if ppl actually played team games as though they are part of a team......

I guess that'll never happen though with the current average age of gamers. 8(

Hand gestures are not for waving to team members far away but it would enhance cooperation in body teams.

US. Army found the feature important enough to be included in their upcoming game "America's Army".

In real life handgestures along with yelling and whispering are important for coordinated tactical manouvres.

It enhanced "Seal Team". It would enhance OFP.

You could just use the day of defeat system - voice commands that also activate hand gestures.

In dod, an amateur mod, this is very well done, so i'm sure a big game companies would have no problem