Sign in to follow this  
[frl]myke

Modding for A3 based on TOH?

First, i know at the very end it is more related to A3 than to TOH but as we have a TOH Community preview version with which we can work already, i feel the topic is more appropriate in the TOH Forum. If this is a wrong assumption by me, please move.

Ok, i'm interested in modding for A3 but as already said, we don't have a preview/test version of A3 but we do have a TOH preview version.

Now my focus is on air vehicles and my question is: will addons made for the preview version of TOH also work in A3 with no or oly minor adaptions?

It is not about the flight physics simulation by itself, more regarding configs and scripting. Also i do know that classes from TOH will most likely not be present in A3 and vice versa. Please leave these minor details away.

It is more about the config entries and the respective values, if they're set up and adjusted in TOH, will it work? same goes for scripts, if they're written and tweaked for TOH, will they work in A3.

Simply said, making an addon based on TOH but meant to be for A3, will this be easily possible or would i have to rewrite large portions of it?

Now i know aswell it is pretty early and everything is in a WIP flow so i really do not expect a final answer that remains true forever. More like "yes, that's what we aim for" or (hopefully not) like "no, there will be quite a lot of differences".

I think between the time the community preview ends and ArmA 3 is released a lot might change. Of course I'm sure there will still be things introduced now that will be present in ArmA 3. Like you said though, it's probably too early to know anything. Perhaps some of the devs can enlighten us?

Well, the tech for Take On isn't finalised yet, never mind a distinct project like A3! :o

In our view, the Com Prev has been a great experience for both devs and the community... but we'd always reserve the right to change things about before release, which might result in some minor tweaks for community modders. We hope it's still a good balance though, where modders can get a running start before the project's launch!

Maybe it's a bit like pre-season, where it's simultaneously fun and frustrating to speculate?

As for A3, well, that project has a long way to go, and has its own decisions and evaluations to make about the technology they will include, but we'll certianly be trying our very best to keep you up to date. :)

Best,

RiE

Not that it matters so much for you, though...

Or maybe I'm just not so obsessed with flashy new technology...

:p:p:p

Thanks RiE for your post. I'm fully aware that it is next to impossible to guarantee that the features we see in ToH preview are going to exactly this way in the final product, let alone in ArmA 3.

My question is more pointed towards: does it make sense to already start modding based on ToH for addons made for A3 or would i have to restart from scratch anyway.

I'm also fully aware that any answer also would be complete speculative but i guess as a developer you know pretty well if the A3 team is completely developing their own solutions or if the "get inspired" heavily from the ToH developer team. ;)

I think you get the point. :D

Not that it matters so much for you, though...

It matters. :) I'm just someone who'd rather have a bunch of tweaks/improvements (like exposing of unnecessarily hardcoded things to configs & script) than omgwownew features.