Sign in to follow this  
Uziyahu--IDF

Uneven Terrain

I would like to see soldier A.I. choose to use roads, sidewalks, airstrips and foot-paths when not in Combat mode, unless forced in the Mission Editor to cut across uneven terrain.

Travel across uneven terrain is too tiring when there is no reason for it and soldiers will often prefer to take trodden paths when there is no immediate threat.

Essentially, their pathing would be similar to that of a car.

Contouring/cross-graining isn't that likely with all troops. There is a big reason for not using main paths or common paths of travel... we're talking all-out-war, future war, there are multiple reasons not to.

They do, so far as I've seen. But they don't change formation to a column in order to stay on the road. Formation is everything for ArmA AI. It's the main limiting factor in most of our complaints.

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/AIBehaviour

I dont see how this is a suggestion, its already in? :confused:

EDIT: There is no real formation in safe mode, except 'follow the guy in front of me'. Obviously doesnt work for vehicles in a convoy engaged in combat, but that doesnt seem to concern this topic.

Yes, I know the reasons. I served in the U.S. Army and I find that recent combat footage confirms what I experienced and what the Romans knew: prepared roads make for ready troops.

---------- Post added at 07:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 PM ----------

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/AIBehaviour

I dont see how this is a suggestion, its already in? ???

Ah, okay. I haven't observed this, but if you say it is in, you probably play more than I do.

Ah, okay. I haven't observed this, but if you say it is in, you probably play more than I do.

Try it in the editor. Place some guys somewhat near a road, give them a waypoint with behaviour set to safe to the other side of the island, and observe how they prefer roads. Been like that since OFP.

Which leaves us with aware (ignoring careless for obvious reasons, and you already excluded combat in your first post) which currently is somewhere inbetween safe and combat when it comes to road usage. Makes sense doesnt it? There would be no reason for aware to exist if it was almost completely identical to safe.

The use of the road seems vehicle based. For example a Bradley will not use the roads will a Humvee will.

Troop typically move into combat in Aware mode. Place a unit in the editor and give them a Destroy waypoint; they default to Aware. Messing up their pathfinding by telling them to use roads would just get them killed.

Safe works just fine. Careless is auto-pilot.